From PPI
Revision as of 11:25, 15 December 2017 by Admin Bastian (talk | contribs) (1 revision imported)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
--- [10/12/2017 21:00]h CET ---
Room: "/international/pirate parties international/board meeting"
Audio recording: follows

Record of the meeting


1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Bailey, Thomas, Keith,Guillaume, Nikolay, Koen, Raymond

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members
participating: Gregory, Daniel,
excused: Etienne, Adam
participating: Chems,
PiratesOnAir (audio only)


Meeting opened at 21:00 CET by Guillaume
Meeting chaired by Guillaume
Secretary for this meeting is Thomas and Keith
Quorum established with 7 out of 7 board members present.
Streaming started: started/not possible
Recording started: 21:00
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process
  • [HH:MM] CEST: (name) entered the meeting [=> Quorum not established with X out of Y board members]
  • [HH:MM] CEST: (name) left the meeting [=> Quorum established with X out of Y board members]
  • [HH:MM] x-minute break by initiated by (name)
Meeting closed at HH:MM CEST by (name)


Minutes of the last meeting

YES: Bailey, Thomas, Ray, Nikolay, Keith, Guillaume, Koen NO: ABSTENTIONS:

Minutes are approved


4.1 - Short report of the board members 1)

  • Board:
  • Guillaume:
Busy times. A lot have happened in the last weeks, partly because of PPCH.
Will try to get to Geneva next week to coordinate next year's ECOSOC membership.
  • Bailey:
Got re-elected as vice-chair at the GA!! Thank you everyone. :) I travelled to Geneva to help run things and it was an awesome week. The GA went well and from what I can tell, most seemed happy with it. Membership meetings will resume in the new year.
  • Keith:
TT3, examining research, ECOSOC matters, and collaborating finance team.
Sent mail to the university research associations and a few other mails requesting speakers for TT3, went over the ECOSOC sign up forms, please let me know if anyone wants to sign up, we would need Guillaume to sign a letter, sent the letter to our lay auditors, waiting to speak with the new treasurer.
  • Koen: nothing to report
  • Nikolay: nothing important to report
  • Raymond: Spent the time since the GA reducing workload and will now focus mainly on PPI, Pursuance and the making of a documentary. Last weekend has been partly spent analysing a FOIA release by Rachael Tacket from the US State dept about The Pirate Bay.
  • Thomas:
Tried to organise the observership for the supplementary elections for the Tunisians living in Germany for the Tunisian parliament on behalf of PPI. #fail
we need to inform our members (pp-leaders) and the wiki earlier as for the link to our meetings. I received a lot of critism.
  • Alternates:
  • Adam: -
  • Daniel:
send an email to
  • Etienne: -
  • Gregory:
Busy helping organizing the upcoming Pirate Security conference in Munich on Feb 17/18th 2018, got account to, tried to fix one minor bug in the UI (so far unsuccessfully), contacted PPI IT to help sove some technical issues on the lists host.

Adding old TT photos to the TT website.

4 - Elections of Officers to the Board 2017

From the Statutes:

XII. Board

(4) The Board elects among the Board Members a) a Treasurer and b) a Chief of Administration c) a Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson if the seat became vacant No Board Member shall fulfil more than one office.

4.1 - Treasurer

  • The board elects a Treasurer.
Candidates (approval voting):
In favour of Thomas: Bailey, Keith,Ray, Guillaume, Nikolay, Koen
abstain: Thomas
  • Result: Thomas Gaul is elected as Treasurer
Thomas accepts

4.2 General Secretary

  • The board designates one of its member a General Secretary
Candidates (approval voting):
In favour of Keith: Bailey, Ray, Nikolay, Guillaume, Thomas, Koen
abstain: Keith
  • Result: Keith Goldstein is elected as General Secretary
Keith accepts

5 - General Assembly 2017 - Geneva

  • We gained a lot of experience. In total 131 visitors attended the webinar channel throughout the conference. Issues with preparation will be reviewed, such as discussing the content of the agenda and items ahead of time. There ssistance of PPEU council meeting, which took place a week before. The combination of these two events have provided momentum. We are looking for an open source solution to video conferencing. Also, in the Pursuance Project they are attempting to establish video conferencing.
  • Would the board allow Ray and Bailey to invite our members to give us more detailed criticism of how the GA was run?
  • 18 gbs were consumed for the entire conference, which is quite low. This is a positive of the techonology, that it was nimble.


  • Invoice of the restaurant will be sent. Invoice to be paid. The total amount is 500 CHF.
  • Minutes of the 2017 GA
  • Where should the video of the GA be uploaded? Koen will upload a video.

6 – TT3

  • We have been working on sending the invitation to speakers. Many people have written emails back about attending and speaking, but few have filled out the form:
  • Can everyone please forward the above link to colleagues who would be interested.
  • Keynote proposal suggestion from Guilllaume, that perhaps we can translate, which would be based on a recent discussion for a university.
  • Domestic planning is going well.

7 – Finances

  • Consolidating spreadsheets
  • Current and Outstanding Balances
  • Affiliation Fees
  • Mail to lay auditors was sent.
  • Matters will be discussed with Thomas.

8 – Research

  • Internal Questionnaire
  • Limesurvey set up. Professionally as an excample for others!!!
  • Paper reference and tracking system. Set up a proxy for future conferences, such as the pirate security conference. Creating a journal for that event, with similar grant requests. DOI was set up for the prior conference proceedings. It will cost about 500 euros.
  • Publication is set for around September with a deadline in June, so people can volunteer to speak at TT3 with a general idea and refine that idea later.

9 – Monthly Coordinator Meeting

  • We will resume these in the new year. People who attended the GA seemed interested too, so maybe we'll see more attendance.

== 10 - ECOSOC

  • UN visitor badge letters. Guillaume should fill out the letters for 2018. Keith will prepare the letters so we have them ready for Guilllaume to sign in 2018.
Keith getting the ground passes in NY.$
Geneva ground passes: Micheline, Richard Hill, Thomas Gaul, Guillaume (has one automatically), Raymond, Bailey

We will get in contact with Micheline, who was eager to be involved on the ground.

  • ECOSOC contact list in Geneva and NY.

Guillaume will contact Micheline

  • Upcoming ECOSOC events
"The fifty-sixth session of the Commission for Social Development (CSocD56) will take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 29 January to 7 February 2018." Registration is due by 16 January 2018.

Internet Development and Promotion event in Geneva, several pirates will be in attendance.

11 - AOB - Any other business

  • PSC (Pirate Security Conference) - the organisers ask PPI to help with Social Media. (Twitter/FB) Setting up FB and firing out the infos available aka promoting - PPI is asked for ownership for the to be built FB Page.
Need a new venue, and they are looking for financial contributions from Pirate parties. So far, they have a full line up of speakers. It will be over a weekend, and they expect a higher turnout of participants. It is ongoing. If you know a party that would like to contribute to the conference, please contact them:
  • Serverstuff - Transition, main part for the switch is prepared, security checks are ongoing. Hopefully they work out the way as expected.
Short report from the machine room;
New server had been resetted due to problems. Now it passed my audit and runs fantastic. We are doing a pentest whinthin the upcoming week and can sign for if it passed. After that we will transfer services or rebuild services until the end end of the year. Mail change will happen between X-Mas and New Year's Eve.
Running services are:
Nginx/Web - Blogs - Mail with Postfix/Roundcube
Nextcloud (Owncloud)
Redmine & Discourse will follow a little bit later (ruby on rails).
Thanks for your patience.
  • Sidechannel: Wire: Adding the alternate board members We advise the alternate board members to register a free account at and contact @raymondjohansen i Wire so that I can add you to a group chat called PPI Board.
  • Email: Adding the alternate board members to board@ email? - were already added at the GA.
  • youtube stream of board meetings?

  • PPI's Youtube Account. An invite will be sent to Koen and Raymond by Gregory. This will enable us to stream the screen during board meetings. Having two computers would be beneficial. We could use a solution with a computer that has a strong lan connection, which we should experiment on.
  • We will open up the zoom meetings 30 minutes before the meeting starts, so whoever shows up can chat beforehand.
  • Work Groups. These were proposed at the GA, along with the end of committees. We need some platform for discussions, whether it be Loomio or some other platform. Can we create a forum? We attempted with Discourse before the GA. This is in our to-do list. That might be a good forum. We need to put the application of the IPNZ to our website. The application was in the wiki during the GA. We should check where it went.

(But the content is no longer available. It may have ended up in the Redmine, where some of the information was inserted, such as Pirate Lobby. Some of the records are not available at the moment.)

  • The hours of the board meetings can be discussed. We need to prepare the 2018 schedule.


Next Meeting: Proposal to push the meeting forward due to Christmas morning. We will have the next meeting on Thursday, 2017-12-28 08:00 CET (07:00) UTC

Meeting Closed: 22:21 CET (21:21UTC)