July 29 2019 Board Meeting
Ordre du jour
Formalities/Ordre de Jour - July 15th 2019
Present are Gregory, Bailey, Guillaume, Keith,
- keithgoldstein: We have quorum with 4 out of 7.
- keithgoldstein: Mike indicated that he cannot make it. Etienne indicated he might be absent for a period as he is busy. Dan also indicated that he cannot make it.
Chair and secretary
Approval of the Minutes
- keithgoldstein: Gregory abstains, Keith approves, Bailey approves, Guillaume approves
- keithgoldstein: 3 out of 4 approve, and hence it is approved.
Next meeting July 29th:
August Meeting time
Approval of Today's Agenda
- keithgoldstein: I would like to request that we reverse the RoP to approve the agenda and just ask if anyone would like to add anything. My reasoning is that the secretary has to prepare the agenda before the meeting, and it takes a bit of time. Hence, the time to oppose the agenda is before the meeting. Any objections?
- keithgoldstein: We need to push back the financials as Mike is not present.
- keithgoldstein: We may not get far with only 4 people
Board member reports
10th anniversary of Swiss PP. Turned out to be a good event. Got press. Looking at the organization of GA. Will propose timeline and set of tasks. Awaiting the meeting tomorrow with the Dutch board. Bailey will also be there. It starts at 8, but they requested us at 8:30. Keith will write them back to let them know that you guys will be there.
German coordination meeting invitation. It was proposed that I become their attache for the US and Canada. That would mean that I would go to their meetings and talk about what is going on.
The last 9 or 10 days been at the Pirate Summer Camp in Poland for the first time. It was a nice program with people from Germany, Poland, Netherlands, and the Czech republic. There were a lot of nice meetings. They discussed setting up structure for the UN work and what to do next. We will talk about this later. We set up some structures and some tools. We went over the UN delegation job application on FB. There were 9 candidates. We rejected half of them and kept 4 of them who look very promising.
Temporary Replacement of Board Member
Ray has asked for a temporary leave of absence. In so doing, it became apparent that we are missing a rule of procedure for this scenario.
- keithgoldstein: For now Ray is just on a two week leave of absence.
- keithgoldstein: The ROP is a small point. We should add it, because it was not brought up.
Budget and cashflow budget 2019
not discussed. postponed.
UN ECOSOC Working Group
- Guest: We were trying to make it more structured, making smart goals that are specific and actionable. Some of the goals are internal. We should not be in a position that we would lose our accreditation, which is not probably a big danger, but we should fulfill our cornerstones. We need to involve more people and to involve PPI members in the process of consultations. Invite all the people who are already involved in the UN business, who have groundspasses, who went to meetings to the group. Have some more formalized discussion. Have more representatives so the next steps will be consultations with members, and also to define people who will publish reports and consultations on the website. Also to define projects about what we are trying to accomplish . One thing came to mind to set up a project about Crypto, because we have some experts in this topic. The former chairman Alexis Russo who lives in Geneva and is very invested in some crypto projects. We thought to get him involved again. There is a lobbying opportunity around that.
- BaileyL: Getting members more involved in statements is great. Using Trillo. It is a task managing tool that is flexible and easy.
- keithgoldstein: Messages should be sent to the UN group in FB. We will add all of the people on the FB group and then move them to Trillo. We will try to get as many people as possible to that group. Currently there are 11 people in that group.
- keithgoldstein: We will add Guillaume and the Czech MPs at Vojtech's request.
Any Other Business
- keithgoldstein: We don't have a formal process. We tend to discuss it if we support it or not? The India request.
General Assembly 2019: Discussion
- keithgoldstein: July 30 at 20:30 can someone be present at the PPNL board meeting to discuss the possibilities of them hosting the GA?
- keithgoldstein: Reaching out to prior applicants for board positions to get them to apply again, and offering alternative secretary position for those who are not elected. We need more volunteers.
It is a bit early, but we will see whether we will have the event and how. It is clear that we will need to have the online GA working. We will need to work on the online segment, especially with a dry run. We will need to see which tool that we want to use. We will need to prepare everything ahead of time, so we should be prepared a month or month and a half ahead of time. We will need to have a venue for proposals and so on.
- keithgoldstein: Contacting prior people who ran to be board members and those who might be interested.
- BaileyL: We need to have something set up. People didn't get super active, but we had the Discourse. We need to do something like that again. The debates and everything can happen before and on GA day people can make final statements. It doesn't have to take up a whole lot of time. We need to do a lot better to include remote delegates, so they have the same opportunities as everyone who is physically present.
- Guest: Involvement and board size are two different things. We need to find a way to get people involved without necessarily being board members.
TT4 dates and tasks
We set up the website and will be contacting the board in the next day or two with an urgent request to send the call for speakers.
Nomination of Additional Vice Secretaries
In order to get more people involved we will be nominating more vice secretaries. We will announce those next meeting.
Our Paypal Problem, Contact with Koen (also regarding the website)
- We will contact him to try to gain access back. It appears to just be a technical glitch from logging in from different continents.
- Guillaume will set up the Swiss Paypal.
Contact with PP Australia or other parties
The last couple of GAs we had an observer, Miles Whitaker. He was really cool, and it was good that Thomas was keeping that relationship going.
Blogs on our website
Social Media, access to Twitter for Pat
Bailey will get the log in information directly or make people contributors through Tweet deck.
- Dichter: It would be better to give permission through Tweet deck, as we had situations before, and there were problems to recover our own account.
Website is completely down. We will contact Joseph Collentine to try to get access.
Next meeting is scheduled for Aug. 12, same time at 16:00 CEST.