From PPI
Revision as of 08:56, 6 March 2023 by Mikegill (talk | contribs) (→‎1 - ATTENDEES)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
--- 05.3.2023 09:00 UTC/10:00 CET ---
Big Blue Button Room:
Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming

Record of the meeting


1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Bailey, Florie, Alexander, Keith
excused: Mike

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members:
participating: Bastian, Mia
participating: PiratesOnAir, Cedric, Numero6


Meeting opened at 9:05 UTC by Florie
Meeting chaired by Florie
Secretary for this meeting is Keith
Quorum established with 6 (6 out of 9) board members present.
Streaming started: started
Recording started: 9:06 UTC
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process: none


Do we approve the minutes?
* Minutes of the last meeting:
Yes : Florie, Keith, Bailey,
No :
Abstain : Alexander
Result: We will have to vote on it next meeting, as there are not enough votes at the moment.


4.1 - Short reports of the board members 1)


  • Florie Marie: I sent my signature to Keith in order to ask for the Geneva groundspasses. I create a Discord server for the PPI, because I didn't find the last one :
  • Gregory Engels: ???
  • Bailey Lamon: Nothing to report
  • Michal Gill: not present
  • Keith L. Goldstein: I set up the Discourse for our agendas. We have members attending the UN in NY. We also set up the Geneva groundspasses, but they have not been approved yet as far as I last checked. We should check on that. I reviewed the UN statement requests and the mails, and it seems that we did not receive a number of mails from the past year.
  • Alexander Isavnin: participates in events related to electronic votings in Russia, Russian Pirates reflexes on year of the war, Russian pirates participates in (re)in statement of Creative Commons chapter in Russia. We are reflecting the year, and how it reflects us. Among our activities, we are still absorbing... internet voting in Russia.
  • Julian Häffner: not present
  • Mauricio Vargas: not present
  • Maycow Toledo: not present


  • Adam Wolf: ???
  • Sebastian Krone:
I have monitored the PPI tech as I do every day.
All patches are up-to-date. All systems are running smoothly.
We still have some problems with Google-Mail because of their special blacklisting. We have sent several complaints to Google to solve the problem. (if you won't believe it)
On February 18 and 19, the Pirate Security Conference 2023 took place in Munich. I was one of the main organizers.
The event was very successful with many remarkable talks about bio-hacking, Iran, Ukraine, cyberwar. All presentations were fully subtitled.
I am not sure if we have cochairs, and of course the cochair receives the mail for the cochair mail address.
  • Mia Utz: ???
  • Raman Ojha: ???
  • Carlos Polo: ????

5.1 - Proposals

  • Election of the Treasurer
Bailey: I can put my name forward. The only thing is that as far as treasurer responsibilities, I don't have any experience in any context. I am not familiar with banking systems and little knowledge about this.
Nominating Treasurer
Do we accept Bailey as treasurer?
Yes : Florie, Keith, Alexander,
No :
Abstain : Bailey
Result: vote is postponed, lacking 4 votes or a majority of 3 out of 6 necessary for approval.

Bastian mentions in the chat Decisions are taken by a majority of board members present at the meeting. RoP §5.2.
Keith will look up the rule to confirm. If we need votes, then we can request a postal vote in the interim.

Nominating Vice Secretaries
We seek nominations for vice-secretaries and vice-treasurers,
A vote is usually not requested for nominating the vice secretaries, unless someone has an objection with a specific nomination. There is no limit on the number of vice secretaries. While board members can also be vice secretaries, it is preferable that we can nominate people outside the board. Vice secretaries are our means to expand the number of volunteers focused on specific tasks of the organization.
Yes : {{{Yes}}}
No : {{{No}}}
Abstain : {{{Abstain}}}
Result: {{{close}}}

  • (Former) Vice Secretaries (acc. to PPI-Wiki):
  • Vice Secretary for IT and IT security
  • CAO for UN Activities in Geneva
  • CAO for UN Activities in NYC
  • CAO for UN Activities in Vienna
  • Vice Secretary for all UN activities and chair of the SCUBA standing committee
  • Vice Secretary for campaigning and chair of the SCENE standing committee
  • Vice Secretary for internal processes and chair of the SCULL standing committee
  • Vice Secretary for party finances and chair of the SCURVY standing committee
Keith: I would like to nominate Noam Kuzar who is currently our lay auditor to be vice secretary for fundraising. I would like to nominate Thomas Gaul to be vice secretary for podcasts.
Alexander: I would like to nominate Bastian as vice secretary for IT and other like stuff.
Florie: I would like to nominate Cedric as vice secretary for IT as well.
Florie: I would like to nominate Florian as vice secretary for treasurer.

{{motion|title=Do we want to use the Redmine? redmine.pp-international.netPirate Parties International - Collaborative tools platform Redmine

  • Justification:The board would need to be updated to enable voting and tasks.
Bastian: we need Redmine. Never Loomio again. I think Discourse people are familiar with. I think we need Redmine for the memory of what is happening. For Discourse, I will give Keith and everyone else.

{{motion|title=Do we want to use Discourse?

Keith: We should have admin access for all board members and alternate board members.
Bastian: If all members have access, then anyone can kill the system.

Keith: does everyone have access to write in the Discourse? We need to make sure that everyone has the ability to write in the Discourse.
Bastian: I have no rights on Discourse. It is provided by Stephan on Switzerland. We should contact Stephan. Maybe Gregory can contact him?
Keith: It is listed as Cedric and Etienne as admins for Discourse. Can they add me and all board members as an admin?
Cedric: yes

no problem on that

Reminder from Bastian: Do we have a contract with Stefan Thöni for commissioned data processing in accordance with GDPR or Swiss law? Reminder from Cedric : Why the discourse is not in our IT system ?

5.2 - Working Groups Update

5.3 Economic Update


We held a small SCUBA meeting. Groundspasses for all 3 UN centers have been submitted. We held a meeting in which we discussed a statement for a Commission on the use of internet for illegal purposes, but we saw that our organization was not listed as a formal participant in the meeting despite having sent a form to participate and being on their mailing list. I paste the notes from the chat from our meeting in this pad:

We discussed setting up a side event for the Youth Forum. The Youth Forum is a hybrid event in NY, and the deadline is March 17. ECOSOC Youth Forum | Economic and Social Council
We also discussed applying for a UN funded project grant, such as the following which is due in November. We should investigate our ability to manage the accounting and setting up a team to build a competent project: The UN and Civil Society | United Nations
Who is receiving the co-chairmen email? I do not have access to this email and all of the most important UN information arrives there. It is a hidden list. I request that all board members receive emails to this list If this is not resolved soon then I will change the contact email at the UN. We have been missing all of the invitations to speak and submit statements for about 2 years now.
Bastian updates that it is an actual email that is forwarded. My recommendation is to create a UN activities email that is forwarded to all board and working group members.
Keith: I think we need a new email PPIUN@pp-international or something of that sort and to use that email to receive updates from the UN. A big thanks to Gregory for forwarding emails, but we should not be so dependent on one person to forward us mails. It would be best that we had a way that external mails could be received by the entire board.

5.5 PPI HQ update

6 AOB - Any other business

  • Pirate Beer
We invite you to join us for our monthly social, commonly known as “Pirate Beer”. This will be the first Pirate Beer since the last GA.
When: Saturday, March 10th at 21:00 UTC/22:00 CET

Where: bbb @ piratensommer [BigBlueButton]

Keith: how do we create new email addresses?

Remark from Bastian: This are the settings for Co-Chair mailbox:

  • CoA
Cedric: as CoA member, I have no information what so ever on how to :

be sure that I’m register somewhere (on tools ?) to discuss with my courtmates It’s a bit disturbing

Bailey: They have an email, but there is no tool that I'm aware of.
Bastian: See PPI wiki:
I set up an email where they can see each other:
It is up to the CoA members to decide we cannot decide that. I can give the speaker for the CoA the credentials to the CoA so that they can get access. The safest way to get all the mails stored is to have all the members receiving the email.
Bastian: I will send another test email and update the board about any CoA members who do not respond so they can check that the email contact for them is correct.
Keith: Has the issue that messages from others to the board are discarded? I don’t have access to change that setting, even as an owner of the list. I brought up this issue in Wire. We must be able to receive emails from outside sources.
Bastian: We have an email and we have a list. All board members are in the email. We tested everything and we found that everything is correct. It costs us downtime if we change the domain hoster, perhaps a week. We have discussed this among the tech team. I will prepare an answer in the near future.
Keith: Have all members succeeded to log in to their emails and receive emails to the board? I see everyone on the board list except for Zbyněk Mucha.

Is there anyone else who doesn't have a PPI email or hasn't succeeded in logging in?

Bastian: We have contact with Zbyněk. I will contact him.

To Keith: Zbyněk Mucha is member of CoA!

  • Next Meeting:
  • Setting new dates and times for board meetings

Justification: Need to accommodate all members and have frontal live meetings Motion:

Florie: We made a Doodle for this meeting, and the best choice was Sunday. However, we should accomodate all members. Do we make another Doodle for the next meeting?
Bastian: I have been involved for a long time, and I don't think we should have meetings on Sunday or on the weekends.
Florie: I also have been involved in politics for 15 years, and politics are private life and take place on weekends, because they work.
Alexander: Weekend is a bad idea. On weekday in case of year ahead planning nearly everything is possible. In weekend highly probable any ahead planning will be overriden by children.
Keith: I think we should have a rotating system, where we have one weekday and one weekend, one morning, one evening time. I can set up a Doodle again about the time, but I think it would help that we decide that the next meeting will take place at an evening time slot so we can have an hour that is convenient for everyone on the west side of the world.

  • Meeting Closed:
--- 05.3.2023 10:36 UTC