From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search

July 15 2019 PPI BOD

Convoqués

  • Board delegatives members :
    • Cedric (1)
    • keithgoldstein (1)
    • BaileyL (1)
    • RayJohansen (1)
    • gsaouli (1)
      • 5/9

Absents

  • Board delegatives members :
    • DanPrazeresBR
    • Etienne
    • MichalGill
    • Ladislav.Koubek

Ordre du jour

Formalities/Ordre de Jour - July 15th 2019

Pas de description


Board Meeting

Pas de description

keithgoldstein: Meeting is started at 16:07 PM CEST.

Convened

Pas de description

keithgoldstein: Guillaume, Mike, Bailey, Ray, Dan, Keith present. A qualified quorum.

Absent

Pas de description

keithgoldstein: Etienne is excused.

Cedric is also excused.

No word from Gregory.

PROCEEDINGS

Pas de description


Chair and secretary

Pas de description

keithgoldstein: Guillaume is chair.

Keith is secretary.

Quorum

Pas de description


Approval of the Minutes

Pas de description

Do we approve the minutes?

keithgoldstein: Minutes approved with a vocal vote, one abstention, 5 approvals.

Minutes are approved.

June 17th 2019: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Minutes_2019_06_17#June_17_BOD_FINAL

Pas de description


Next meeting July 29th:

Pas de description


https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/PPI_Minutes_2019_07_15

Pas de description

Approval of Today's Agenda

Pas de description

RayJohansen: 2.1 Board Meeting

2.1.1 Convened

2.1.2 Absent

2.2 PROCEEDINGS

2.2.1 2.1.1 Chair and secretary

2.2.2 2.1.2 Quorum

2.3 Approval of the Minutes

June 17th 2019: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Minutes_2019_06_17#June_17_BOD_FINAL

Next meeting July 29th: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/PPI_Minutes_2019_07_15

[Be aware: by next meeting we must migrate to Cryptpad]

2.4 Approval of Todays Agenda:

Formalities/Ordre de Jour

Board member reports

Economic reports

Board Meeting Tech

TT4 dates and tasks

Digital Warfare Conference

Budget and cashflow budget 2019

Update of RoP

General Assembly 2019: Discussion

Any Other Business

Upcoming Meeting

RayJohansen: Full planning pad: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/july-1-2019-pad-for-agenda-items-6ybf0cb
RayJohansen: We updated the RoP before the board. Therefore, these are the comments for the agenda for now. We will move forward for now to accommodate our treasurer.
keithgoldstein: We will postpone the two economic parts.
RayJohansen: Postphoned until next meeting:

Economic Reports

Budget 2019

Be aware: by next meeting we must migrate to Cryptpad

Pas de description

Task
Etherpad will be shut down and we will use cryptpad from now on. There is a task that we export from cryptpad. We will have to discuss this with our German IT team.



Approval of Todays Agenda

Pas de description


Board member reports

Pas de description


Board

Pas de description


Guillaume:

Pas de description

gsaouli: 10th anniversary of the party last weekend. Forthcoming host who invited us into his castle. We had a nice celebration. It got some media attention. Evening news, two minute slot.

Bailey:

Pas de description

BaileyL: Nothing directly related, but a cool update from a week ago, gave a workshop in my city for union people and labor folk, activists, event for Common Front. This is a group that was formed years ago, involving labor people coming together. Small workshop for activists, touched on things like crypto tools and keeping secure online. It went well. A crypto party will take place in the fall. Everyone will bring their laptops. Spying in Canada, privacy laws... relevant topics for the Pirate movement.

Keith:

Pas de description

keithgoldstein: Doing a lot with ECOSOC. Will update more in AOB.

Daniel:

Pas de description

keithgoldstein: Welcome back.

Raymond:

Pas de description

RayJohansen: Business as usual.

Mike:

Pas de description

Guest: PPCZ is moving to the new boss of the EC. There is currently a discussion of whether the Czech party should support the German candidate. He is translating documents for the Slovak party. They are looking to submit it.

Etienne:

Pas de description


Alternates

Pas de description


Gregory:

Pas de description


Cédric:

Pas de description


Economic reports

Pas de description


Board Meeting Tech


*PROPOSED BY: Etienne Evellin

*PROPOSED ACTION: The board shall discuss whether to continue using 
Zoom, go back to Mumble or Discord.

*BACKGROUND: For a detailed back ground see the motion proposed by Ray 
during the 17/05/19 meeting.
Concerning Discord, we have been using it side by side with Congressus 
for a few months.

Question is : Do we choose Discord as the main tool for our meetings ?

*REASONING:
What are the advantages of Discord ?
1) It is linked to Congressus in a way that may help the chair of the 
meeting to distribute the floor between the speaker in a way that may 
help to clarefy the meetings.
2) It's permanent: Discord is accessible between meetings because it 
does not rely on a link.
3) It's easy to use : Discord is quite easy to use and to configure.
4) It's mobile friendly: like this, even if you're on the move you can 
attend meeting.
5) It exceeds our expectations: Discord might help us to have a 
permanent hub where people can debate, share knowledge. Mumble and Zoom 
can not allow the creation of an only community like Discord. It goes 
beyond the simple meeting tool that we are looking for and might be the 
first step to create a Pirate community thank to the chat services.

What are the drawbacks of Discord ?
1) It's not an open tool
2) We can't see each other faces
3) We do not have totally the hand of the server (which is a service 
provide by Discord)

Coast:
0€ !
It's a free service, add free. We can benefit from the "Discord Nitro" 
advantages threw our member (see Discord website for more information).

Set up and maintain:
1) Easy setup (PPFR can provide volunteer to set up a PPI's Discord)
2) Easy maintain
3) We can add Bot (recording, music bot...)

*PROPOSED TEXT: "The board has decided to a) use Zoom OR b) use Mumble 
OR c) Discord for 2018/19 or until an Open Source solution becomes 
readily available for the chosen software."

:a) Zoom:
:b) Mumble:
:c) Discord:

:ABSTENTIONS:

: Motion passed/failed

*RESPONSIBLE: Etienne, (proposed) will....
RayJohansen: I withdraw Zoom as an alternative, since we can use it whenever we want. We have asked the people from Mumble to present arguments, but so far do not have any. We are left with a debate between using Mumble or Discord.
gsaouli: Mumble has a great advantage on privacy. There is no trace of discussions, but this also means that you lose a record of what you were discussing. This is a big disadvantage, and also when you change platforms you lose the discussion. Discord has a larger platform of users, and it is more versatile. I would support the decision for Discord. There are still some hitches regarding the broadcast. It is a more suitable tool for our discussions.
Guest: Discord is way better on the reliability side. To me it is way easier to use. I know a lot of people who had problems with Mumble. I don't know if we ever had a private meeting, so I don't see the need for security.
keithgoldstein: For me there are two advantages to Discord. You can use web interface. You can on the phone. For the sound, the quality of the meetings is better on Discord. Some argue that you have difficulties to change parameters on Discord, but it is the same on Mumble, so there are similar issues for both systems. I largely prefer Discord because I can use it on all my devices, and not on Mumble.

{{motion|title=Which online tool do we wish to use for future meetings? |text=Which tool? |vote=Mumble : |vote=Discord : |Abstain=

keithgoldstein: Mike votes for Discord.
keithgoldstein: There are 6 votes for Discord. Dan Abstains. None for Mumble.
keithgoldstein: The Board has decided to continue to use Discord for future meetings.

TT4 dates and tasks


*PROPOSED BY: Keith

*PROPOSED ACTION: TT4 Call for Speakers Announcement. We will approve the final dates, and send the following announcement, a graphical version of which that Mike will provide, to all of our contact lists and social media to attract speakers and participants 

*BACKGROUND: TT4's dates have been updated to Nov. 1-3.

*REASONING:  We are running out of time and need to enlist speakers. This proposal does not entail funding from PPI whatsoever. If we decide to request funding from PPI for the event, a separate proposal will be made. The event will be hosted regardless of whether PPI decides to contribute financially for the event.

*PROPOSED TEXT: 
We will send the announcement for TT4 through all media outlets, including a blog on our website. A draft of the call is copied below. Minor revisions to this announcement may take place during the design, including shorter versions.    
    
    Think Twice Four: Online Challenges to Democracy

The 4th Multinational Think Twice Conference (TT4) will be held Nov. 1-3, 2019 in Prague, Czech Republic.

The event will bring together academics, professionals, nonprofit and governmental organizations, as well as social activists to discuss Online Challenges to Democracy.

Speakers are requested who will contribute to the debate about online challenges to democracy from four different perspectives: 1) government, 2) non-profit, 3) business or 4) activism.

We will assess positive and negative consequences of online environment collaboration and propose policy solutions. Prior Think Twice conferences were held in Frankfurt, Istanbul and Jerusalem.

The event is entirely non-profit and sponsored by the Pirate Parties International and the Czech Pirate Party. Participation is open to the public, and speakers will include leaders from a variety of organizations who seek to debate policies that target online challenges to democracy.

The preferred language of the speeches is English.

Guests who cannot travel to Prague for the event are invited to participate and/or present online.

Speakers are asked to either present in a panel discussion (“Online Challenges to Democracy”), organize a workshop, present a poster or graphical information, or speak at the lecture hall.

Critical discussions should be presented on one or more of the following subfields: online democracy, the political challenges of governing a free internet, regulations and deregulations of online environments, Big Brother internet, Government spying, Fake news, Fake social media, Preserving freedom of expression online, Democracy interference, Media credibility evaluations and rating systems, Grassroots movements and activism, Political populisms, Risks online globalization, Local and global volunteer networks, or Promoting internet rights through multinational or supranational organizations.

A number of well-known academics, politicians, business representatives, non-profit leaders, and activists will be invited to speak. However, the call for speakers is competitive and open to the public.

Applications to speak should be made by sending an email to thinktwicefour@gmail.com

Speakers are requested to provide a short summary of their intended discussion or presentation (up to 500 words).

*PROPOSED TEXT: "Insert text/actions proposed here"


:a) Unknown:
:b) Unknown:
:c) Unknown:

:ABSTENTIONS:

: Motion passed/failed

*RESPONSIBLE: Mike and Keith
keithgoldstein: The most important thing at the moment is to finally ask the dates.
keithgoldstein: The 4th Multinational Think Twice Conference (TT4) will be held Nov. 1-3, 2019 in Prague, Czech Republic. Does the board approve this idea?
RayJohansen: What if we wanted to run the GA on Oct. 29 and 30, would that be possible at all? We could have the board present in Prague.

{{motion|title=Does the board agree to Nov. 1-3 for TT4? |text=Nov. 1-3 is this suitable for PPI?

keithgoldstein: Mike is in favor of these dates. The dates are approved with 5 yes, 1 abstain, and Dan is absent due to internet connection issue.

Does the board of PPI support the organization of the 4th Think Twice Conference from Nov. 1-3?

keithgoldstein: There are 6 votes in favor, including 1 vocal vote. The motion is approved.

Digital Warfare Conference

== Digital Warfare Conference ==

*PROPOSED BY: Guillaume

*PROPOSED ACTION: 
The board shall evaluate whether we have resources to organize or support a conference about digital warfare, and how to provide an understanding of the mecanisms of it, what kind of threat models there are.

His current tenure is the directorship of the CHPM <a href="https://www.chpm.ch/" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; cursor: pointer !important;">https://www.chpm.ch/</a>

*BACKGROUND: The title of the conference will be: Dec 7th - Is a digital pearl harbour possible for Switzerland.
The timeline will be to first look back into history if there are similarities, thus presenting a commonly adminted threat model in regards to weapons engagement, then  introduce what cyberwarfare is, and the major differences as to the what it entails. Last but not least then look at a 0-day/ Pearl Harbour attack on a country like Switzerland

*REASONING:  in regards to the organisation of the conference, it is pretty much taken care of from a financing and logistics perspective.

*PROPOSED TEXT:
How can PPI be involved? One from a speakers standpoint, 2 from a networking standpoint

*PROPOSED TEXT: "Insert text/actions proposed here"

:a) Unknown:
:b) Unknown:
:c) Unknown:

:ABSTENTIONS:

: Motion passed/failed

*RESPONSIBLE: 
keithgoldstein: There is little for us to do. In the next 12 weeks Guillaume will be responsible for the marketing. We will do a former vote that states that we will not fund or organize, but we will take place in the marketing and helping out with the speakers would be great.
Motion
Does PPI agree to support the marketing and facilitating speakers for the event?
Support the Digital Warfare Conference?
15yes.png Yes :
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: Motion rejetée


keithgoldstein: Mike and Dan are absent. We have 5 approval votes. The motion is approved.

Budget and cashflow budget 2019

*PROPOSED BY: Mike

*PROPOSED ACTION: 
The board shall, after being presented with budgets, vote on accepting/implementing them after discussing the details.... 

===> needs more details including links to the budgets themselves...................... Correct ----> ? <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16PCvwUQTDwPirun9M_fcIWCKZ8ohjtj3nIjFeWUK3v8/edit?usp=sharing" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; cursor: pointer !important;">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16PCvwUQTDwPirun9M_fcIWCKZ8ohjtj3nIjFeWUK3v8/edit?usp=sharing</a>

*PROPOSED TEXT: "Insert text/actions proposed here"

:a) Unknown:
:b) Unknown:
:c) Unknown:

:ABSTENTIONS:

: Motion passed/failed

*RESPONSIBLE: Guillaume, (proposed) will....


Update of RoP

*PROPOSED BY: Ray

*PROPOSED ACTION: We formally vote on the added and changed rules of procedures.

*BACKGROUND: Improving efficiency and qualtity of our work.

*REASONING: In the last board meeting we agreed on a list of procedures to be added. A volunteer did the edits and now we have to formalize them and update the wiki. Please find old and new revisions side by side here: <a href="https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Board%2FRules_of_Procedure&type=revision&diff=5019&oldid=4823" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; cursor: pointer !important;">https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Board%2FRules_of_Procedure&type=revision&diff=5019&oldid=4823</a>


*PROPOSED TEXT: "The board has today formalized the following Rules of Procedure: <a href="https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; cursor: pointer !important;">https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure</a>"

:a) Yes:
:b) No:

:ABSTENTIONS:

: Motion passed/failed

*RESPONSIBLE: Keith, (proposed) will make sure that the wiki is updated - reflecting the changes

keithgoldstein: I believe that Vojtech was revising this, and I was waiting on his final revision. I had updated it and removed the update pending this update.
Motion
Do we accept the new formalize RoP as included in the Wiki?
Description de la motion
15yes.png Yes : gsaouli (1), BaileyL (1), RayJohansen (1), keithgoldstein (1)
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Cedric (1)
Result: Motion adoptée


keithgoldstein: There are 4 votes in favor and 1 abstain. The motion is accepted.

General Assembly 2019: Discussion


*PROPOSED BY: Ray

*PROPOSED ACTION: We need to discuss when, where, tasks and how we organize it.

*BACKGROUND: The last two years the task of organizing fell on two board members only. I dont know if it is because the other board members think that things happen by themselves, does not see or know about the actual work that has to go into it or if there is some other reason. One example is tech another example is how we showed up to the GA without a budget for 2019. 

*REASONING: We need to do better and be better prepared.


*PROPOSED TEXT: "The board has today formally appointed XXXX NNN to coordinate and lead the work of planning and organizing the 2019 General Assembly. They will be responsible for sharing tasks, maintaining the task list and making sure that every task has someone responsible."

:a) Yes:
:b) No:

:ABSTENTIONS:

: Motion passed/failed

*RESPONSIBLE: XXX NNNN, (proposed) will...
RayJohansen: I would like for us to have a volunteer who is responsible for organizing it. I am looking for leadership.
BaileyL: Before getting started with organizing, we will need to make decisions about where it will be, how it will be held - digitally or physically -. We put out a message a little while ago. We could encourage an online GA, but also consider having visitors for TT4.
gsaouli: I would put a motion forth that we do another round of calls for venues, and if we don't have an answer by July 29 that we proceed with the organization of an online GA.
gsaouli: Another point is the dates. I am not in favor of canibalizing TT. It is difficult to discern between a conference and a GA. People will get confused.
gsaouli: Bailey and Ray will work on the Wordpress. We will put it out to a vote. Guillaume will work on the role planning of the event. We will touch base on Friday afternoon to think up about the planning and tracking. We will try to leverage what was already done and go one step further. Cedric might be a bit interested.
keithgoldstein: Ray is taking full responsibility for sending the mail.
Motion
We will send another request for a venue through multiple channels for the GA with an intention to make a decision on July 29.
Description de la motion
15yes.png Yes :
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: Motion rejetée


keithgoldstein: The motion was accepted with 5 unanimous votes in favor.

Any Other Business

ECOSOC updates

July 18-19 NY meeting

Fundraising, donors

Next big upcoming ECOSOC event: Registration period is open now. 
High-Level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage at the United Nations Headquarters in New York on 23 September 2019 from 9am to 6pm, one day before the start of the General Debate of the General Assembly at its seventy-fourth session. The overall theme of the meeting is: Universal Health Coverage: Moving Together to Build a Healthier World. REGISTRATION FOR THE EVENT IS REQUIRED AT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES:
For NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC: <a href="https://reg.unog.ch/event/31016/" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; cursor: pointer !important;">https://reg.unog.ch/event/31016/</a>
For Specially-accredited entities: <a href="https://reg.unog.ch/event/31044/" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; cursor: pointer !important;">https://reg.unog.ch/event/31044/</a>
REGISTRATION PERIOD:
10 July to 9 August 2019

Collaboration with other NGOs. We have received numerous requests. Some I found to be more interesting/serious than others. How do we feel about collaboration?
gsaouli: Can we send out a call for comments so we can get people to contribute ideas?
keithgoldstein: We should set it up as a blog on our website. We haven't had a blog on our website in 3 months.
keithgoldstein: Bailey, Ray, and Keith will work on a blog on our website about universal health coverage issues we would like to discuss at the upcoming UN conference. This will be completed by July 20.

Upcoming Meeting

Are we sticking with this time, day?

keithgoldstein: Next meeting July 29th at 16:00 CEST

Pad for the next meeting is: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/PPI_Minutes_2019_07_15


Ayant participé à un vote

  • 14 - gsaouli
  • 5 - BaileyL
  • 6 - RayJohansen
  • 4 - keithgoldstein
  • 1 - Cedric