From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search
Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING
--- 13.09.2022 14:00 UTC/16:00 CEST ---
Big Blue Button Room: https://bbb.piratensommer.de/b/gre-cnw-a9v
Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming
Recording: https://owncloud.ag-technik.de/s/DtR6Zk4aKRD2poQ
Video: https://bbb.piratensommer.de/b/gre-cnw-a9v

Record of the meeting

1 - ATTENDEES

1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Mike, Mauricio, Alexander, Bailey, Gregory, Dario, Keith
excused:
unexcused:
Quorum:

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members:
participating: Bastian, Veronika (from14:25 UTC)
excused:
unexcused:
Guests:
participating: Numero6

2 - PROCEEDINGS

RoP: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure
Meeting opened at 14:03 UTC by Bailey
Meeting chaired by Bailey
Secretary for this meeting is Everyone
Quorum established with ( out of 9) board members present (incl. alternates and proxies)
Streaming started: started https://piratesonair.net/live-stream/
Recording started: 14:03
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process:

3 - APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

Motion
Do we approve the minutes?
* Minutes of the last meeting: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Minutes_2022-08-23
15yes.png Yes : Gregory, Bastian, Mauricio
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Mike, Alexander, Bailey, Dario
Result: Minutes approved


4 - REPORTS

4.1 - Short reports of the board members

Board

  • Bailey Lamon: I haven't done anything. Been on vacation.
  • Gregory Engels: Haven't done much either. Gave Manuel the account statements and probably paid some invoices. I did some work around the bank.
  • Mike Gill: Sadly didn't have time to do the clean text of the new statutes yet. Vacation, elections, salvaging school and solving personal problems take all my time now. Please, allow me time until the next board meeting. Election campaign is a b**ch but we have hopes to very much keep holding our current positions (municipal elections). Anyway, we organized the TT4 about a month ago. I didn't really have time to work on the videos at the moment for the above mentioned reasons, but I will after the election (Sep 23/24). Also on Thursday I'm flying to Brussels for the weekend PPEU council.
  • Carlos Polo: not present
  • Keith Goldstein: Not much to present. We had a couple of meetings about DAO and such. Israel also has an election coming up; submission of lists is this week.
  • Alexander Isavnin: We had municipal council elections, so there was no vacation. In my district I'm the first of the losers, so didn't get in. We suspect there was a lot of cheating. I have a lot of information about that. I have stories with the people on the streets of Moscow.
  • Manuel Caicedo: not present
  • Dario Castane: I'm working in the voting tool Asembleo, some improvements for PP-LU. I'll be in Brussels for the weekend PPEU council too. PP-CAT is getting back from holidays, and also the founder group for the new PP-ES is quite active.
  • Mauricio Vargas: On September 4, Chile held a plebiscite to approve or reject the proposal for a new constitution. We lost, the proposal was rejected. At the moment we're trying to understand it. The establishment parties kept the control. In other topic, Dario shared with me a document on the Spanish party organization. We proposed to share it with other Spanish-speaking pirates; perhaps do a workshop or have an extended conversation.

Alternates:

  • Ji Yong Dijkhuis: not present
  • Veronika Murzynová: not present
  • Adam Wolf: not present
  • Sebastian Krone:
  • I took care of the financial wiki.
  • I monitored the PPI tech, as I do every day.
All patches are up-to-date.
All systems are running smoothly.
  • I am very disappointed that the internal meeting agreed at our last meeting to resolve the organizational issues we continue to have did not take place. This is not the way to move forward.
  • The recordings of the panel discussions at the ThinkTwice conference have not yet been released.
We need to edit the panels and improve the audio.
What’s the plan?

5.1 - Proposals

2022 winter GA

Mike: We need to discuss the potential physical GA at the end of the year. I still offer PPCZ's Prague as a venue.
Bailey: We're getting to the time when we have to decide about the time for the winter GA. So what do you guys think of that.
Mike: If we do it here in Prague we would use the Pirate Centre, so it wouldn't cost us anything.
Alex: As far as I remember once I attended a hybrid GA. May I suggest a hybrid meeting.
Bailey: It's gonna be at least hybrid anyway; some delegates will have to be remote. In the past there were issues that the two types of delegates had different access to the mic. We have to make sure that doesn't happen. The remote delegates must not be disadvantaged.
Keith: We want people to be coming from further away. Saying now that the physical meeting will take place in December will need more of an advance notice.
Bailey: With international people, non-Europeans, few months might be a logistical nightmare. Travelling to this is not as cheap as for others.
Mike: I'm not gonna take it personally if we scar the in-person GA.
Dario: If the next one isn't physical, maybe we can do the next one in 2023.
Bastian: I think it's a good idea for physical meeting. We have more experience now and central Europe is by far the cheapest option for most people. I think we can make it if we arrange it for the remote delegates to feel like they're present. We can do it in January 2023 if needed.
Mauricio: Travel to Prague is more than 2200 EUR, so it's a lot of money.
Mike: It's still more prudent than the other way around. But if want to do it partially physically, we would have to make the decision ASAP.
Keith: I'm not opposed to having the GA in Prague this winter. I won't be able to arrange my schedule in time, and I imagine others from far off will have these problems. However, I think it is a good idea to have a group organized to meet physically for the GA regardless.
Bailey: We would have to organise it as if most of the people wouldn't show up in person. It's a risk we're taking. We mustn't give any special privileges to the people in the room. We would have to get on it immediately to make sure people have as much of a notice as possible. I'm not opposed to it. I think it would be good for moral, see each other physically. It has a lot of benefits on a community level. That's also a reason not to do it, because we'll exclude the remotes.

( Dario leaves for a work meeting )

Bastian: It's not necessary that we announce official physical meeting. The GA can be online and some parties can meet in Prague if they want.
Bailey: Another way to go about it. Nothings stopping people for getting together anyway for these things. We'll organise it as an online event and create a meetup in Prague for those who want (and can) to show up.
Mike: In either way I'll need to check dates when the PiCe is available and so we don't put it again to the same weekend as the Czech GA for example.
Alexander: May I suggest we also start planning the 2023 winter GA, so people can already arrange their plans. Big events are usually planned a year in advance.
Bailey: I think we can decide on the date for the next GA and then we can plan for it to be online and also have the option for some people to get together for it. Mike says he needs to check with the Pirate Centre and talk about it in the Wire once we know about the availability of the PiCe. If we're looking to do it in December, we should send the invites by the start of October.
Mike: If we do it in December it's just a matter of checking the PiCe availability. January carries the risk of hitting the weekend with the PPCZ's GA.
Bailey: Why doesn't Mike look into PiCe's availability and let us know. Then we can pick the final date online.
Mike: I might be able to find before the end of the meeting. I'll let you know. Potential dates, all available:
  • Dec 3/4 - only few people preparing food for the homeless on Sunday afternoon
  • Dec 10/11 - completely ours
  • Dec 17/18 - only few people preparing food for the homeless on Sunday afternoon
Bailey: We don't want to get too close to Xmas. So I would do first or second weekend.
Bastian: Let's ask the members and if nobody objects, we have a date. I think the first weekend is a good idea.
Bailey: So let's go with Dec 3/4, send it to our members and if everyone is okay with it, we go with that. I'll send it out. Incl. the optional physical element.

5.2 - Working Groups Update

Working group on the new statutes

Bailey: We should continue with this. Why don't we set something up and have a session about this.
Mike: I'll need to finish the text based on the first two meetings and then I'll set up the third meeting.


PPI Administrative Finances Organizational Meeting

Bailey: I'd like to set something up on the next internal meeting about the PPI issues. How about September 21st?
Keith: Last time it died on Manuel not coming.
Mauricio: I'll try calling him.
Bailey: Shall we schedule a meeting now or wait for Manuel? I'm sure there are things we can work out even without him.
Bastian: We tried a lot of times to get in touch and we can try to get in touch every day. I believe it was about a stolen cellphone.

/deciding on the dates/

Bastian: Suggestion is Wednesday Sep. 28th, and we are now trying to figure out the time. Set at noon UTC, 14:00 CEST, 8:00 EST.
Bailey: In the meantime we'll try to get hold of manuel. If needed to change the date, we'll see. At least we have a plan.

5.3 Economic Update

  • Our finances are updated in the wiki.
We have to solve the problem with the penalties by Brussels authorities.

5.4 ECOSOC/UN

  • IGF 2022 Day 0 Event #71 Meetup of online activists from societies democratic deficiencies and lack of effective institutions
Alexander: I am going to the next event in Ethiopia. You may delegate me as a Pirate to say something Piratey there. This is happening the end of November until the 2nd of December, for a week.
Keith: Is participation online?
Alex: IGF is gonna be hybrid with broadcats and option to ask questions. I noticed there are UN activities relating to transborder crimes. It appears to some Russian NGOs that they are now robbed of the option to participate. Let's discuss what we can do with our ECOSOC powers.

5.5 PPI HQ update

Mike: You know what I'm gonna say! You guessed it! It's just waiting for Bailey's passport! :D

6 AOB - Any other business

Bailey: One thing that I want to bring up is that before we make statements on our social media that we need to run ideas past each other first. For example, the Tweet that was made about the queen is not something that I can support, because I have feelings against the royal family. I can't endorse the statement made on our Twitter account. We should run these things past each other, because what can seem like a simple statement for some can be complicated for someone else. Let's run these things past each other and communicate before we make statements.

Keith: What is the channel for discussing these things?

Gregory: There is a Twitter official group, so whoever has access to this will be included in this chat. Also, please use Wire to discuss.

  • Next Pirate Beer is on September 30.
Bailey: I will draft an email to send to the membership to see if everyone is ok with the dates for the GA.
Bailey: Hello to Veronika who made it.
===================================================
  • Next Board Meeting: 04.10.2022 20:00 UTC/22:00 CEST
  • Meeting Closed: 15:20 UTC