From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search
--- 23.4.2023 9:00 UTC/11:00 CEST and 1.5.2023 21:00 UTC/23:00 CEST ---
Big Blue Button Room:
Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming

Record of the meeting


1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Florie (both), Keith (23.4.; 1.5. joined 21:25), Alexander (both), Mike (1.5.), Julian (1.5.), Gregory (1.5.)
excused: Bailey (both), Gregory (23.4)

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members:
participating: Bastian (both), Mia (both)
participating: Cédric (both), Vincent
participating: Faro, Julia, Nixe, Akurag, Foxy, You, Pierre, loup_brun, ThomasG, PiratesOnAir


Meeting opened at 09:10 UTC by Florie
Meeting chaired by Florie
Secretary for this meeting is everyone. We will listen to the recording later to add details.
Quorum established on April 23rd with 3 out of 9 board members present.
Quorum established on May 1st with 5 out of 9 board members present.
Streaming started: started
Recording started: 21:08 UTC
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process: none


Do we approve the minutes?
* Minutes of the last meeting:
15yes.png Yes : Keith, Alexander, Florie
15no.png No : ???
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : ???
Result: ???


4.1 - Short reports of the board members 1)


  • Florie Marie: I went to the PPEU concil meeting in Strasbourg. I was chairing a part of the council.
  • Gregory Engels: I went to the PPEU council meeting in Straßburg. The rightscon session submission of us got not selected. Busy with local chapter party work - we have two elections this year (mayor and regional elections), can't be with you today as we are electing candidates for those elections today.
  • Bailey Lamon: ???
  • Michal Gill (1.5.): Been at the PPEU Council in Strasbourg and in Liberec at the Czech GA with two international debates and a lot of intl. guests. Still preoccupied with school but promised to Florian in Liberec that I'll revive the statutes working group. So if anyone wants to join it, you're most welcome.
  • Keith L. Goldstein: I updated the rules of procedure to change to Discourse, Discord and Wire. We have a few UN calls for statements and proposals that to are due soon.
  • Alexander Isavnin: Praticipating in PPRU streams and commenting Russian regime actions for independent Media
  • Julian Häffner: Nothing to report
  • Mauricio Vargas: ???
  • Maycow Toledo: ???



  • Adam Wolf: ???
  • Sebastian Krone:

I have been monitoring the PPI technique as I do every day.

I'm pretty sure we've solved the pesky G-mail problem now, because I found incorrect records in PPEU's DNS - you may recall that PPEU uses our SYMPA for historical reasons. PPEU has additional administrators who have access to their DNS. Maybe it's a good idea to ask me before changing anything ....

All patches are up to date. All systems are running smoothly.

All requests for forwarding emails, etc. have been processed (not sure if I've received them all, though, as there are some peer-to-peer conversations).

I had asked to see the contract for data processing by a processor (Art. 28.3 GDPR) regarding our Stefan Thöni hosted discourse that we use. When will this happen?

Our mailbox in Geneva is now paid for, so we will not lose it.

I have made a motion to the board, maybe we can deal with it today - I am not sure if I am still allowed to make motions.

  • Mia Utz: I also went to the PP-EU Council-Meeting in Strasbourg.
  • Raman Ojha: ???
  • Carlos Polo: ???
Do we continue the PPI board meeting ?
15yes.png Yes : Keith, Alexander - incorrect question
15no.png No : Florie
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : ???
Result: ???

Do we have to close the PPI board meeting ?
15yes.png Yes : Florie
15no.png No : Alexander
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: ???

  • The board meeting was terminated due to formal disputes.
Meeting re-opened on May 1st, at 22:08 UTC by Florie
Meeting chaired by Florie
Secretary for this meeting is: collectively

5.1 - Proposals

  • Proposal from Bastian
I hereby request that the Code of Conduct of the PPEU be incorporated into the PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure of the PPI Board.
  • This Code of Conduct could also be incorporated into the Statures at the next General Assembly.
  • In my opinion, we have reached a point in our cooperation that lacks the necessary respect for members on the Board. This also explicitly refers to statements made by officers in public and in internal communication media.
Bastian: I think it would be usefule to adopt the Code of Conduct of the PPEU into our board's RoP.
Mike: I second that. It works quite well in the PPEU and for me, let's do it.
Florie: I second that as well.
Mike: Yes, we can ammend our own RoP.
Bastian: Yes, we can do that for our RoP. If we want to adopt it for the GA in the future, we can at the GA as well.
  • Code of Conduct Manifesto
Respect for Diversity & Inclusion
We avoid comments, actions or propaganda that encourages discrimination related to gender, gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, sexual characteristics, physical appearance, disability, or age.
Respect Freedom of Expression
We support an individual’s freedom of expression and will strive to better understand each other by not assuming experiences or beliefs, clarifying meanings, and making an effort to speak clearly, avoiding jargon and acronyms.
Commitment to Non-Violence
We will not engage in any type of violence or aggression, including verbal threats or complaints, intimidation, stalking or harassment, whether physically or psychologically.
Rejection of Sexual Harassment
We understand sexual harassment as unwanted physical contact or insinuation of a sexual nature, as well as displaying images, drawings or visual representations of any kind that objectify members of any gender or reinforce oppression.
Respect for Privacy
Safeguard the privacy of members, individuals and participants in PPI events, and agree to follow the Code of Conduct as well as the CoC Council’s recommendations.
Facilitate Participation & Collaboration
We work to create an environment that facilitates participation for all participants, and that session presenters are given respect. We will not engage in sustained disruption of sessions or events, interrupt conversations in a way that negatively impacts collaboration, or engage in toxic behaviors to attract negative attention to an attendee.
We Care about the Integrity and Health of the Community
We value the health of the community and will not engage in behavior that can negatively impact it.
Support Positive Interactions Among members
We are committed to engaging constructively with others at all times. We will not tolerate bullying, including requesting or mobilizing others, either in person or online, to bully others.
Change the RoP of the PPI Board to include the Code of Conduct of the PPEU
15yes.png Yes : Alexander, Mia, Julian, Mike, Gregory, Florie
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: Motion passed, RoP are changed.

5.2 - Working Groups Update

Gregory: There has been a SCUBA meeting (UN stuff) on April 23rd. There was a proposal for the IGF draft. Can anyone speak on this?
Alexander: I've been there. We discussed some activities related to the UN. We discussed how PPI can be more active in UN ativities. I'm not sure if there are minutes. The group is mainly active on the FB chat. We discussed there will be the IGF again in October.
Bastian: Maybe we can move this under the ECOSOC/UN. Alexander leads the IGF way. Maybe we should have the next SCUBA meeting in few days. We filed date sometime in early May. I will look at my diary and call for another SCUBA meeting.
Scuba Meeting minutes:

5.3 Economic Update


Sunday, April 23 at 22:00 CEST we will be holding a SCUBA meeting to discuss an upcoming IGF call for proposals and other UN activities. Immediately after the meeting we will transition to our routine social event Pirate beer, BYOB. The meeting will take place as usual in our bbb room: bbb @ piratensommer [BigBlueButton]
Next meeting 03.05.2023 19:00 CEST (17:00 UTC)
  • IGF
18th IGF Annual Meeting, “The Internet We Want – Empowering All People”,

to be held in Kyoto, Japan, 8-12 October.

possible PPI involvement in the upcoming IGF Annual Meeting in Japan is under preparation during SCUBA meetings (Keith volunteered)
Alexander: I believe Keith might be able to join as it's in Japan.
Gregory: I know Keith would like to go.
Florie: Then we havDecentre a volunteer.
Alexander: There is no requirement to live in Japan and if we start planning now, maybe someone else wants to join. IGF is now fully hybrid, so anyone can join. You might find more opportunities to visit Japan than just IGF.
Keith: There's a deadline in July.
Gregory: Keith is speaking about the July deadline for the proposal. /false/
Gregory IGF 2023 session proposal deadline: 19 May 2023, 23:59 UTC
Keith: The application is due in about ten days and we have to rush. It's a pretty large application and I need material to create a workshop.
Gregory: I'm happy to work with keith and Alex on this even if not being at the May 3rd meeting (previous engagement). I don't know what was already done but I would like to suggest to add DAO and DAO governance.
Florie: Anyone else? Let's work together and if you could later introduce us to the result of your work, it would be great.
Bastian: Maybe, Gregory, you can give us your ideas before that May 3rd meeting, so we can add it.
Florie: It seems we have a plan and can move on to the next subject.
  • UNHQ event
Co-facilitators with further information on the thematic deep dive Data Protection scheduled for Monday, 24th April, starting at 10am ET (New York time).
Florie: Does someone want to speak on this?
Keith: I don't have much information on this event but I can send somebody.
Gregory: It was on the 24th of April, so we already missed it.

5.5 PPI HQ update

Bastian: Any changes planned? The board voted on moving the HQ from Brussels. Are there any changes made?
Keith: I don't remember ever voting the location from Brussels. I believe we decided to keep it otherwise we'd lose our ECOSOC status.
Bastian: We have to pay a penalty in Belgium for not meeting our obligations and the decision was to consider switching to a German organisation. We had some proposals from Czechia but I would say the easy solution would be to move the HQ to Germany and have our official office here. There's a difference to our seat in Geneva where we have a functioning PO box. And the next stop would be to move the HQ out of Brussels to somewhere where we have people so we can control it. Are there any changes on this thus far?
Mike: I'm not a secretary anymore but I'm quite certain we didn't do anything in this matter.
Bastian: We need an official address for the HQ so an I move forward and establish an organisation in Germany?
Florie: Can we talk about this some more before making changes? Maybe on Wire? And not decide right away?
Bastian: To verify: we have to pay for nothing, just the registration fees. If anyone has a better solution for a country that makes it very easy, fine. Belgium is very bad for being registered in. Before I start to register the HQ in Germany, only for the PPIHQ letter box, I'd like a green light.
Florie: I understand the purpose, I'd like to ask for other solution as I wasn't aware of this situation.
Bastian: Maybe we can file for a seat in Switzerland. If we need a registration number for ECOSOC, we can do it anywhere, but any part of Switzerland has its own rules and we'd need a lawyer. That's why we decided within the previous board that we'd do it in Germany. I'm willing to do the work, but I need to know before I put more work into it.
Mike: The timing is a bit poor, because the board members did not know about this topic since the previous board discussed this. The move out of Belgium was agreed on, but not necessarily a decision to move to Germany I think (not sure).
Florie: I am fine with the decision to move out of Belgium, because we don't have any active members that I know of. I'm a bit uninformed what the last board decided regarding this move to Germany. I ask what is possible, perhaps we can have several propositions about where to move the headquarters, not just one. Maybe we can talk about this at the next board meeting.
Mike: If anyone has any suggestions please send them to the board or if a board member, commit it to the Wire so we can discuss it at the next board meeting.

6 AOB - Any other business

  • Next Meeting:
Keith: Maybe we can establish a rotating system again, so everyone can attend at least some meetings? We discussed a more rotating system in the Wire, but it's up to everyone.
Alexander: The thing is that we should plan the meetings well ahead so we can add it to our calendars and organise it around the board meetings. If we plan ahead and have a well prepared agenda, it might be possible to have it at the same time as other meetings even.
Florie: To me, a meeting shouldn't be no longer than an hour, if we can have a meeting as short as today, it would be great, but Tuesday mornings aren't possible for me as I'm at work. Maybe 5 or 6 UTC on Tuesday morning?
Mia: Maybe some other morning? Saturday afternoon, Thursday or any other morning?
Florie: If it's before 8 AM UTC, it's fine; later I can't.
Keith: Shall I make a suggestion that the next meeting would be on Sunday morning in three weeks?
Bastian: The time difference between Europe and Japan is about 14 hours. We should find a time when noone has the eeting in the middle of the night. Let's find a common time. Rotation is problematic. If we choose an hour everyone is awake, then we should go with that. 12:00 UTC is the main point (=10pm EST, =10am Japan)
Keith: I'd like to bring up also our South American board members who are very much the same time zone as Bailey.
Bastian: Keith, you can set-up a Doodle but Alexander can't get to the American Doodle. We offer the Brandenburg one, which isn't blocked by the Russian authorities. It makes no sense to rotate. If we have a fixed day and hour, it makes sense. Let's choose an hour.
Florie: So let's sarch for a good hour, either for Sunday or a week day. Let's find out what's convenient for everybody. I propose 6 UTC in the morning. We would see. We have to ask all the people.
Mike: Let's commit it to Wire so our American wing which isn't here today can pitch in as well. Thanks.
Florie: Yes, let's talk about this on Wire. We shall decide the time and date of the next board meeting on Wire.
  • Meeting Closed: 23:05 UTC