From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search
--- 05.03.2024 20:00 UTC/21:00 CET ---
Audio recording:

Record of the meeting


1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Bastian, Gregory, Keith, Alexander, Mia
excused: Bailey
unexcused: Julian, Maycow, Mlemt (most likely this hour is a problem)

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members:
excused: ThomasG
participating: Numero6, PiratesOnAir, Lucy


Meeting opened at 20:01 UTC by Alexander
Meeting chaired by Alexander
Secretary for this meeting is Keith and everyone
Quorum [not] established with 5 out of 9 board members present.
Streaming started: ?
Recording started: Yes
Postal votes: ?
Votes delegated (§5 Votes (5. 3.) ROP):
Notes on meeting process: ?


Do we approve the minutes?
Minutes from Feb. 13, 2024 meeting:
Yes : Alexander, Keith, Mia,Gregory
No :
Abstain : Bastian
Result: Approved


4.1 - Short reports of the board members 1)


  • Gregory Engels:
I was on vacation, discovered that our domain is blocked by openDNS that is used by cisco devices for "P2P/File Sharing" -, wrote to their support, avaiting answer. Also prepared an email to the US Delegation to WIPO in Geneva regarding our potential reaplication for observing membership. Have sent the account statements from Postfinance and the 2023 tax statement to Bastian. our funds are CHF 3'192.82 and EUR 93.75 on the Euro subaccount.
  • Keith Goldstein:
At their request, I updated our UIA profile. I helped organize the AI working group and attended. I am also working on preparing the next meeting. I prepared a few blogs on our website: Navalny, PSC, UNHQ, and others. I met with our Pirate Times intern.
  • Bailey Lamon:
not present
  • Alexander Isavnin: Onboarding as General Secretary,
Will post some news about local Pirates, also positive developments. We have weekly webstreams.
  • Sebastian Krone:
I have monitored the PPI technology as I do every day.
All patches are up-to-date. All systems are running smoothly.
We have upgraded Limesurvey and are currently migrating to the latest PHP version. Not all services are compatible and need to be converted first (e.g. Media wiki).
The Secretary General has received all necessary administrative access.
I have asked several times to see the contract for data processing by a processor (Art. 28.3 GDPR) regarding our Discourse hosted by Stefan Thöni, which we use. When will this happen?
No access to bank accounts until now, no bank statements. :-(
Gregory: I just now succeeded to log in and download the bank statements. I send them to Bastian.
  • Mlemt: absent
  • Maycow Toledo: absent
  • Julian Häfner: absent
  • Mia Utz: was checking, which working group would fit be best for me. Am thinking about the AI-group.


  • Raman Ojha:
  • Carlos Polo:
  • Thomas Gaul
nothing to report.

5.1 - Proposals

Motion: We need a section on the PPI website with logos and visuals that people can download and use.
Keith: having such section is good fo indexing and SEO.
Create such section on the website. Use data from our nextcloud and other services.
Yes : Alexander, Keith,
No : None
Abstain :
Result: We will add the tab to the website.

ThomasG: I support this idea. Even in the past we had been asked for it so we should have a section for it. But we need to specify the use so we in case can retract a permission. I am no fan supporting our logo by anti-democrats in whatever colour they disguise themselves.
Discussion of Creative Commons license. We want to avoid having a trademark.
Motion: We should add relations with other NGOs. At the moment PPI is not listed as having any relations with other NGOs by UIA. We should form a group that will reach out to NGOs to establish relations, and afterwards if they agree we can vote one by one whether anyone has an issue with this relation.
Form committee to reach out to other ECOSOC NGOs about forming relations.
Yes :
No :
Abstain :
Result: Let's start work on this

Alex: Our party has these relations with some other Russian political parties, having public informaton about such relations makes our commnication to other parties easier.
ThomasG: NGO's international or "local". But I would support the idea that we should be very transperant on this issue.
Gregory: we had a cooperation in the past with Knowledge Ecology International (KEI) and have visit WIPO meetings on their "ticket". This ended in 2013. We have also relation with Pirates Without Borders, Foundation 42, Denk Selbst e.V. and PPEU. There may also be others. Freedom to Share... I think we should do more. I'm not so sure that we need such a formal approach. Doing something together would be better than just having our relation formalized in a book. EURODIG. I participated informally as PPI. They are also an NGO.

5.2 - Working Groups Update

  • Next meeting is
March 16, 19:00 UTC
The next meeting will take place on the PPI Board Jitsi.

draft of the agenda.

Alexander: Please add it to the calendar as well.
Lucy: I want to make it recurring, perhaps every month. I am planning to have it for perhaps every 3rd Saturday, so that way it should be easy for people to attend.
Alexander: I also plan to atttend and invite others.

5.3 Economic Update

  • Treasurer Report:
There is nothing to report as I still have no access to the bank accounts and no bank statements :-(
our funds are CHF 3'192.82 and EUR 93,75 on the Euro subaccount.
Bastian: It would be very nice that I received access to the bank accounts and that I could automatically receive the accounts instead of needing to request them. The only thing I can control is the Paypal account. I am not very satisfied with the situation.
Gregory: I can send you whatever you are missing. I will iniciate the process of onboarding you to the account.


Youth Forum, it will be in April. We need to be ready for announcements to present.
Vienna Passes
Keith: Groundpassed are being used actively. We need to recheck which PPI e-mail is being used by UN

  • Groundpasses:

5.5 PPI HQ update

HQ-Board??? How to move HQ to Potsdam...
Bastian: We need to elect a board for the headquarters. I saw in the minutes that Alex is the head of the headquarters. We need to initiate it in the next board meeting. We need to change the location to stay in Brussels further. I can control the German law and the office here. My proposal is to move it to Potsdam and to found a headquarters as a German organization under German law. Our wish is that we have the registered office for the ECOSOC, because the UN will have a document about where we are registered. My idea is that we have a German organization that is controlled by the PPI. We need 7 people to be in charge of this German organization. First we have the UN registration. Second, you want a shop, therefore we need a German association that can do that. I can organize to do these things, because I understand German law organizations. If someone else wanted to do that in another country, then they should be able to control that. I can handle these administrative tasks. PPI should stay in Switzerland, because we have nothing to declare in Switzerland. It is very easy. We should keep that in mind. We have Pat Maechler who cares for the post office. But for other apps, we need the solution that we have an HQ, and that was the reason we decided to do it in Brussels, and my solution is to move it to Potsdam. This is what I have in my mind about what I can do for the organization. I will make a plan at the next board meeting about what we need to do, and then you can vote on it.
Gregory: In Brussels they are fine with scanned copies.
Bastian: I am concerned about the fines with the account.
Alexander: Let's have plan and move forward, hope our German bouard members will create exact plan to move PPIHQ to more controlledenvironment in Germany.

6 AOB - Any other business

Pirate Security Conference was held just after previous board meeting

We will be more happy if PPI will pay also the 100 euros from the prior year's conference. If you go to Pirate-Secon.Net you will see that there were really good panels there. Maybe you have time for listening to them, so you can see what happened there. It was a great This is the blog that we wrote about the conference:

  • Next Board Meeting: March 26, 2024 at 09:00 UTC
  • Meeting Closed: 20:49 UTC by Alexander