From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search
Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING
--- 23.1.2022 21:00 UTC/22:00 CET ---
Big Blue Button Room: https://bbb.piratensommer.de/b/gre-cnw-a9v
Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming, recording
https://owncloud.ag-technik.de/s/a3QZ5DxtL9gDjoE
Video: https://bbb.piratensommer.de/b/gre-cnw-a9v

Record of the meeting

1 - ATTENDEES

1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Bailey Lamon, Gregory Engels, Mike Gill, Alexander Isavnin, Mauricio Vargas
excused: Keith
unexcused: Carlos, Dario, Manuel
Quorum:

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members
participating: Veronika Murzynová, Sebastian Krone
excused:
unexcused: Ji Yong, Adam
Guests:
participating: cwiz, Numero 6

2 - PROCEEDINGS

RoP: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure
Meeting opened at 21:05 UTC by Bailey
Meeting chaired by Bailey
Secretary for this meeting is Everyone
Quorum established with 7 (out of 9) board members present (incl. two alternates filling in).
Streaming started: started https://piratesonair.net/live-stream/
Recording started: 21:05 UTC
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process: none

3 - APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

Motion
Do we approve the minutes?
* Minutes of the last meeting: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Minutes_2021-12-29
15yes.png Yes : Bailey, Mike, Gregory, Veronika, Bastian
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Mauricio, Alexander
Result: Minutes approved


4 - REPORTS

4.1 - Short reports of the board members

Board

  • Bailey Lamon: I attended the NYE event as well as the GA and pre-GA social. I also attended the meeting with PP Peru and this evening at 21:00 EST I'll be attending the USPP meeting. I've also been in contact with PP Australia who observed our GA. Since the GA I've mostly just been in contact with various people/parties as well as the usual post-GA "tying up loose ends".
  • Gregory Engels: I have attended the PPI GA and the PPEU Council meeting (today - and congratulation to the new Board and specifically to Bastian). I was accepted at the Executive Master in International Association Management and the last three days have had the first module on Leadership - including interesting topic of organisational culture - it seems that PPI could be probably classified as an "Adhocracy" type organization.(Adhocracy is a form of business management that emphasizes individual initiative and self-organization in order to accomplish tasks. This is in contrast to bureaucracy which relies on a set of defined rules and set hierarchy in accomplishing organizational goals. The term was popularized by Alvin Toffler in the 1970s.) I have some Ideas on how to apply this insight in terms of specific actions, but it is too early to talk about.
  • Mike Gill: We did the NYE 24+ hour-long event, attended the GA preparation meeting, attended the pre-GA Pirate Beer, took minutes at the GA, attended (and got very little) the meeting with Marco. Kicked off a series of stories on PPCZ with presentations on first two out of three ministers and a post about Marcel Kolaja becoming an EP Quaestor. The PPCZ elected the new board in the meantime as well. And I completely ignored the PPEU Council this weekend due to lack of time.
  • Carlos Polo: not present
  • Keith Goldstein: not present
  • Alexander Isavnin: Attended PPI GA. PPRU had discussions on mesh networks in context of possible Russian Internet Shutdowns inspired by Kazakhstan Internet Shutdown. I'd like to announce that I'm starting a course on internet governance in Russian.
  • Manuel Caicedo: not present
  • Dario Castane: not present
  • Mauricio Vargas: Attended PPI GA. It's my first PPI board meeting. To intruduce myself, I'm a geologist, we develop SW for mining industry, I have MA in geology, for two years now I'm a part of the Chilean PP. We had ups and downs; in the last election we had one candidate with lot of votes but not enough to get elected. We're making a lot of aliances with other parties, planning to grow.

Alternates:

  • Ji Yong Dijkhuis: not present
  • Veronika Murzynová: My first PPI board meeting, I just attended two days of the PPEU Council meeting as a delegate - new board, Mikuláš again elected as a chair, three Czechs, three French people - good meeting all in all; I'm the PPCZ intl. coordinator, studying intl. relations at an uni in Prague. Looking forward to working with you, guys.
  • Adam Wolf: not present
  • Sebastian Krone:
All the financial information I have is on the PPI wiki – (Bank - 31.12.2021 - PayPal 17.01.2022).
I have been attending to PPI technology as I do every day.
All systems are running well.
I attended the PPEU-Council meeting this weekend and was re-elected as treasurer.
Of course I attend NYE 24+ meeting too.

5.1 - Proposals

   Issue: Election of the new general secretary and the new treasurer
   Submitted by: Mike
   Justification: As with every new board, we need to elect (or at least re-elect) the positions of general secretary and treasurer. There might be problem with Bastian as a treasurer, since the rules say only a board member, not an alternate, can be elected to the position of either GS or treasurer. I propose that if we choose to make Bastian treasurer again, which I hope we shall, then we should make him treasurer 'pro tempore' (just internally), to make clear we're aware of the ban of alternates to hold these two positions. With your approval, I'll prepare the statutes changes that will allow us to fix this at the summer GA.
   Motion: The PPI board elects XXX as the new general secretary and YYY as the new treasurer and give him full access to all PPI current and future accounts and entrust him with full power of attorney in financial matters. /treasurer 'pro tempore'/.


Mike: I proposes we elect (if he wants to) Bastian as a kind of "treasurer pro tempore".
Bailey: Very much agrees.
Bastian: I am willing to keep the postition. It's up to the board members to decide.
Mauricio: I also support Bastian.
Bailey: It's possible to share the position?
Bastian: Not really. It's also complicated to switch access to accounts.
Gregory: We need to elect someone and then let the bank know what the board decided. Otherwise the bank will need other papers for us to give access to another person. We need to give the bank a copy of the statutes and excerpt from the minutes where the vote took place. I nominate Mike for GS and Bastian for treasurer.
Motion
Treasurer vote
Do we elect Sebastian Krone as the Treasurer?
15yes.png Yes : Gregory Engels, Michal Gill, Alexander Isavnin, Mauricio Vargas, Bailey Lamon, Veronika Murzynová
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Sebastian Krone
Result: Sebastian Krone is re-elected as the treasurer with 6 yeses.


Bailey: Do we have any GS candidates?
Gregory: I nominate Michal Gill.
Mike: I accept the nomination.
Motion
General Secretary vote
Do we elect Michal Gill as the General Secretary?
15yes.png Yes : Gregory Engels, Alexander Isavnin, Mauricio Vargas, Sebastian Krone, Veronika Murzynová, Bailey Lamon
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Michal Gill
Result: Michal Gill is re-elected as the general secretary with 6 yeses.


Motion
Shall we set-up a statute change for the article XII (4) so the alternates can also be elected as GS and treasurer? (https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=Statutes#XII._Board)
Shall we set-up a statute change for the article XII (4) so the alternates can also be elected as GS and treasurer?
15yes.png Yes : Gregory, Alexander, Mike, Bailey, Veronika, Mauricio Vargas
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Sebastian Krone
Result: Motion passed. We shall work on the statute change before the summer GA of 2022.


   Issue: Open discussion with the CoA on the member parties demoted or dismissed during the GA even though they are not fully inactive, mainly PP Latvia and Bulgaria
   Submitted by: Keith, Mike
   Justification: The January 8th CoA decision on dismissing and demoting some member parties due to their non-existence and/or inactivity has purged PP Latvia and PP Bulgaria, even though they both didn't fit the board-set rules on this. PP Bulgaria paid membership fees, PP Latvia was present at one of the recent GAs. This situation should be rectified; contact with the two parties should be made and the CoA should be made aware of this oversight.
   Motion: The PPI board will open contact with the new CoA and PP Latvia and PP Bulgaria to rectify their demotion and dismissal respectively, if they'll express the desire to do so.
Gregory: On Latvia: I am already in contact with PP-LV and have proposed to have a PPI Clinic with them.. (the contact is somewhat slow, have wrote them Friday 5 pm, it has not been answered yet). On Bulgaria: We tried to contact PP Bulgaria for years, their web is overrun by adverts. This is the first contact in years, since memo from one of the founding members letting us unofficially know the party is dead. I also got in touch with PC Belarus - they're also open for business.
Mike: I suggest we get in touch with the CoA and the two parties in question, let them know the situation and help fix it.
Bastian: Our main goal is to help these parties.
Bailey: Agreed; we need to get in touch with these two parties, explain to them what happened and have it fixed. Do we need to vote?
Gregory: I don't think we need a vote. We get in touch with parties all the time. I already talked with Latvia - let them decide if they'd like to re-apply.

5.2 - Working Groups Update

Gregory: The standing commitees should have board members responsible for them. This is a good opportunity to assign people as chairs of those commities. I would love to see people taking initiative.
Bailey: Yes, I agree it would be ideal if different board members would take action as well. Never hesitate to start organising.
Bastian: Let us organise a night of working groups where we introduce them and let everyone pick.
Mike: We need to update this list. I suggest we have vice-secretary for each of the commities and maybe some others that actually make sense and we have someone willing to do it. I'll work on it over Wire or e-mail.
   Vice Secretary for Conferences - vacant
   Vice Secretary for IT and IT security - Sebastian Krone / PP-DE
   Vice Secretary for UN Activities in Geneva - Pat Maechler / PP-CH
   Assistant Vice Secretary for UN Activities in Geneva - Emanuelle Germond / PP-CH
   Vice Secretary for UN Activities in Vienna - Svein Mork Dahl / PP-NO
   Vice Secretary for Standing Committees - Gregory Engels / PP-DE
   Vice Secretary for Membership Applications - Giuseppe Calandra / PP-IT
   Vice Secretary for Member Relations - Linda Tørklep / PP-NO
   Vice Secretary for Human Rights Issues - Linda Tørklep / PP-NO
   Vice Secretary for Tech Development - Cedric Levieux / PP-FR
   Vice Secretary for Fundraising - vacant
   Vice Secretary for Court of Arbitration Relations - Bailey Lamon / PP-WOB
   Vice Secretary for Social Media - Cristina Diana Bargu / PP-IT
   Vice Treasurer - Keith L. Goldstein / PP-IL
   Vice General Secretary - Thomas Gaul / PP-DE


5.3 Economic Update

Bastian: Our balance sheet is current. Let's see this at the next board meeting.

5.4 ECOSOC/UN

Gregory: I typed the application for Carlos' and Svein's pass for Geneva. NYC is limited to the maximum of three passes instead of six (Bailey + two locals). We'll also see what the minutes of the Ad Hoc Committee to Elaborate... will say. We will need Bailey's passport.
Bailey: My passport still hasn't arrived.
Mike: In the meantime, let's think about who wants passes for Geneva and Vienna.

5.5 PPI HQ update

Mike: Waiting on Bailey's passport. :-D
Gregory: We'll also need the new board members' passports. On the fine, I still haven't hear back. We got fined for not submitting financial statement for our Belgian HQ. They gave us a fine of 1.000 EUR. We wrote that we don't have the funds, apologised, submitted the missing documents. We're still waiting for the reply.
Veronika: To whom should I send the passport?
Mike: Me. I'll send Alex, you and Mauricio a link to fill in detailed and send the passport by mail or any other way you like. The point is that the people submitting their passport will be listed as board members of the PPI HQ in Belgium.

6 AOB - Any other business

Bailey: We need to pick the date and time for the next meeting. I suggest we rotate the meeting time, since we're stretched all over the globe. It's always going to suck for some of us.

5:00 EST (Toronto & Lima) / 7:00 DST (Santiago) / 10:00 UTC (London) /11:00 CET (Prague) / 13:00 MSK (Moscow) / 19:00 JST (Tokyo)

Veronika: Any day but Wednesday.
Mauricio: Monday 7 AM is harsh... Tuesday is better.
everybody: Tuesday is ok.
Tuesday Feb 15th is three weeks from now (and then every three weeks Tuesdays 10UTC after that).
Next Pirate Beer on Friday Jan, 29th 20:00 UTC.
===================================================
  • Next Meeting: 15.02.2022, 10:00 UTC/11:00 CET/05:00 EST
  • Meeting Closed: 23:02 UTC