- Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING
- --- 16.8.2023 21:00 UTC/23:00 CEST ---
- Jitsi: https://jitsi.pirati.cz/PPI-Board
- Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming
- ::Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING
Record of the meeting
1 - ATTENDEES
1.1 - Members of the PPI board
- participating: Bailey, Keith, Alexander, Mauricio (arrived late)
- excused: Florie
1.2 - Others
- Alternate Board Members:
- participating: Bastian,
- participating: Numero6, Becky, PiratesOnAir
2 - PROCEEDINGS
- Meeting opened at 21:12 UTC by Bailey
- Meeting chaired by Bailey
- Secretary for this meeting is everyone
- Quorum established with 3 of 9 board members and 1 alternate board member present.
- Streaming started: started https://piratesonair.net/live-stream/
- Recording started: 21:12 UTC
- Postal votes: none
- Notes on meeting process: none
3 - APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES
|Yes : Keith, Alexander,|
|Abstain : Bailey|
- Remark: I'm not allowed to vote or to comment it, due to advice of the chairperson.
- Remark on remark: current chair allows you do all those.
- Bailey: Everyone here is allowed to speak, and also according to the statutes I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to speak and vote.
- No, I was definitely forbidden to talk unless the chairperson explicitly allowed me to do so.
4 - REPORTS
4.1 - Short reports of the board members 1)
- Florie Marie: not present
- Gregory Engels: not present
- Bailey Lamon: I sent out invoices for the 2022 membership fees and received a couple responses and possibly a couple payments. One party indicated that they could not pay and another party that they could not. Last week I did an interview with an Australian journalist, who is either affiliated or knows them. It was with me and Miles from PPAU. The journalist who is writing an article about the pirate movement said it has to do with tech and democracy. That was random, but a really fun conversation. We talked about the Pirate movement and PPI. I showed up at the GA, which unfortunately did not work. I want to apologize for not being around much.
- Michal Gill: not present
- Keith L. Goldstein: I am heading to NY this weekend for the Ad Hoc Committee to Elaborate a Comprehensive International Convention on Countering the Use of Information and Communications Technologies for Criminal Purposes. https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/cybercrime/ad_hoc_committee/ahc_sixth_session/main
I will be heading to Japan in September for the IGF and the ISAC, an academic conference that an affiliate of the Japan pirates invted me to. I've also been active on Discord with some of the other parties and attended the USPP board meeting on IRC last week.
- Alexander Isavnin: Regular pirate news streams, fighting for ability to participate in municipal campaign (because not registered with stupid reasons). I am considering attending the IGF as Free Moscow University was accepted for a booth.
- Julian Häffner: not present
- Mauricio Vargas: (arrived late). In our party we will have a meeting today. We haven't had a meeting in about a month, so there is nothing to report in this moment.
- Maycow Toledo: not present
- Adam Wolf:
- Sebastian Krone: (I'm not allowed to recite this here, but you're welcome to read it - for the audience or the recording.)
- I have been monitoring the PPI tec, as I do every day.
- I checked the complaint due to Nextcloud mail - it's working fine.
- All patches are up-to-date. All systems are running smoothly.
- I have asked several times to see the contract for data processing by a processor (Art. 28.3 GDPR) regarding our discourse hosted by Stefan Thöni that we use. When will this happen?
- Bailey comments that she has no idea. We will have to get that from Stefan I guess.
- Mia Utz: not present
- Raman Ojha: not present
- Carlos Polo: not present
5.1 - Proposals
- GA Quorum Failure
- We did not make quorum. We have to decide at some point whether we will have a make up GA or just wait until the winter. Technically we are not in violation of our statutes, we are supposed to have 1 GA per year.
- Total Voting Power of the GA is 5 out of 27). Power needed for establishing the quorum is 9.
- <Power would have been conceivably 8 out of 27 with Luxembourg, Russia, and Ukraine>.
- Keith: According to our statutes we should decide immediately on the next GA.
- Bailey: I'm torn because I would like to have more people present.
|Shall we call for a GA immediately or delay until winter? We vote on whether to delay until winter.|
|Yes : Alexander, Keith, Bailey|
- Bailey: If members feel that we need to have a makeup GA, we can have that discussion again if we need to.
- Proposal: Dec 9th & 10th to block other activities.:-D
- This is the 2nd Saturday in December, and it should be a big GA on the 9th and 10th.
- PPUK application
- "Dear PPI Board, I am writing to you on behalf of the Pirate Party UK, to let you know that we are interested in becoming a member of Pirate Parties International (PPI). We have meticulously reviewed the application process and eligibility criteria outlined on your official website and are excited to join the PPI community. Here are the necessary details and information for our membership application." <application details followed>.
- They sent us an application, and it looks to be thorough, but we should be careful to make sure everything is in order.
For this special moment I grabbed http://pirateparty.uk/ - So cute :-D
- Alternate Speaking and Voting Rights
- proposed by Bastian
- According to Keith's complaint (RoP) in the Discourse:
- Bastian's Comments:
- I’ll abide by the Chairperson’s directive that I have no voting or speaking rights on the Board meetings.
- There has been no comment or resolution from the rest of the Board despite my request. So, at most, I am (maybe) a guest with speaking privileges.
- We have ended the good teamwork in the Board from the past after the GA in January 2023 at the latest on 29.03.2023. -
- This is unpleasant, but easily detectable, and also led to the cancelled GA on 29.07.2023 (which is not even mentioned in the PPI wiki).
- I continue my daily work in the PPI-Tec team. But I heard that this will be changed soon. Then there will be a handover and good.
- Blaming me in the subtext of RoP-Proposal, I think is very unfair.
- Keith's Comments: What issue is there with the voting and speaking rights of alternates?
- Alternates clearly have voting and speaking rights according to Board Rules of Proceedure 5.5. “The most ranking alternate board member will take the first delegated vote, and each additional delegated vote will be given to the next in line. No alternate board member can hold more than one delegated vote. All board members who cannot attend should delegate their vote in advance.”
- Ideally absent board members would delegate their votes, but even if they don’t, the alternates who are present assume the place of those board members who are absent.
- Bailey: This is how it has been for years. If people feel that this is not appropriate, or don't think that alternates should vote or speak... everyone should be able to speak in these meetings minus any sort of abuse. We all know that alternates have a right to speak or vote.
Yes, but the Chairperson in solely authorized to represent the PPI. In this respect, her instructions must be followed. Possibly you need to think about this God rule?
- Keith: There is some ambiguity in the wording of the RoP. The RoP is to be decided by the board and not the GA. The RoP could be clarified, and I don't think we need to have delegated votes for absent members, because then one could choose to go over the head of a senior alternate. Rather we should have a RoP that the most senior ranking alternate automatically takes the place of the absent board member. To be clear though, at the next board meeting, let's vote on a rule that clarifies this.
- Bailey: Agreed. For changes like this, it is better to have more people.
5.2 - Working Groups Update
5.3 Economic Update
- Ad Hoc Committee to Elaborate a Comprehensive International Convention on Countering the Use of Information and Communications Technologies for Criminal Purposes
- The meeting will be held in a hybrid format, with the in-person component taking place at Conference Room 1 of United Nations Headquarters in New York. Participants with existing access to UNHQ are free to attend the session in New York in person.
- The link to the meeting online is as follows:
- August 21 to September 1 will be the main event.
- We are waiting for the booth decision still but others have received responses.
- All of our workshop proposals were not accepted.
Remark: You did a great job! Thx!
5.5 PPI HQ update
- The Chairperson would like to move the seat of PPI to Luxembourg. Is there any news, has it already happened without notice?
- Bailey: I don't think there is an update on this.
- Keith: We would have to have a proposal.
- Can you (please) monitor it before we come into big trouble. :-(
6 AOB - Any other business
- Could we ask Bailey to chair next Board meetings?
- Bailey: We have a chairperson. I don't mind chairing some of the time if Florie wants a break. I don't mind helping out.
- Thx for chairing the meeting - it was a mess. :-)
- Next Meeting: September 13, 09:00 UTC
- Meeting Closed: 21:58 UTC