From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search
--- 13.09.2023 09:12 UTC/11:12 CEST ---
Big Blue Button Room:
Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming

Record of the meeting


1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Florie, Alexander, Keith, Mike,

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members:
participating: Bastian, Mia
excused: Raman,
participating: Lucy PPuk, Sarai USPP


Meeting opened at 09:12 UTC by Keith
Meeting chaired by Keith
Secretary for this meeting is everyone
Quorum established with 4 (out of 9) board members present.
Streaming started: started
Recording started: 09:12 UTC
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process: none


Do we approve the minutes?
15yes.png Yes : Alexander, Keith, Mia, Bastian
15no.png No : Florie
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: Minutes are approved.

We will delay the vote on the minutes until the other vote is approved about alternate me


4.1 - Short reports of the board members 1)


  • Florie Marie: Holidays :) (Just to be written somewhere: I never forbid anyone to talk or do anything in the board, unless if someone think so... ;) The only limit is to not insulting people, it's not acceptable to insult anyone here, I won't let anyone tell me I'm a bitch anymore.)
  • Gregory Engels: not present
  • Bailey Lamon: not present
  • Michal Gill: <will come later>
  • Keith L. Goldstein: I went to the UN in NY and spent 3 days at the UNODC Ad Hoc Committee regarding illegal use of the internet. I attended the ISAC conference in Tokyo. I applied successfully for a virtual booth at the IGF in a collaboration of ISAC and PPI. I posted a couple blogs on our website and shared PPCL's statement on FB. I'm waiting to see if Mauricio will add it to our blog. I'd like more people to share in making posts on our website and social media. I was active a bit on Discord. Our Pirate beer event needs to be set up again.
  • Alexander Isavnin: observed Internet voting on governor (and some more) campaigns in Russia (such voting in Russia is untransparent and the whole campaigns are unfair), tried to get restored in municipal elections campaign, joined PPRU news streams.
  • Julian Häffner: not present
  • Mauricio Vargas: not present. He sent us a statement from PPCL on the 50th anniversary of the 1973 coup.
  • Maycow Toledo: not present


  • Adam Wolf: not present.
  • Sebastian Krone: (I'm not allowed to recite this here, but you're welcome to read it - for the audience or the recording.)
I have been monitoring the PPI tec, as I do every day.
I checked the complaint due to Nextcloud mail - it's working fine.
All patches are up-to-date. All systems are running smoothly.
I have asked several times to see the contract for data processing by a processor (Art. 28.3 GDPR) regarding our discourse hosted by Stefan Thöni that we use. When will this happen?
  • Mia Utz: I have mostly been doing PPEU stuff and don't have anything to report for PPI.
  • Raman Ojha: not present
  • Carlos Polo: no

5.1 - Proposals

  • GA Quorum Failure

Last meeting we voted to delay the GA until the winter with 3 yeses and 1 abstain.

Proposal: Dec 9th & 10th to block other activities.:-D This is the 2nd Saturday in December, and it should be a big GA on the 9th and 10th.

GA Rescheduling.
Shall we call for a GA on December 9th and 10th?
15yes.png Yes : Keith, Alexander, Mia, Bastian
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Florie
Result: The motion is passed.

Keith will send a mail and update all of our websites and social media. The time of the GA is another issue. Alexander: We should move to a later hour UTC. Bastian: If we move it to the beginning around 2 pm CET, 12 pm UTC it is reasonable for eastern time zones.

Alexander: We should try to accomodate the GA in one day.

Shall we start the meeting at 12pm UTC to accomodate more member parties?
Start the GA at 12 pm UTC.
15yes.png Yes : Keith, , Bastian, Mia, Alexander
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: Motion is passed

  • Revision of Rules of Procedure 5.5.1
The rules of procedure regarding the inclusion of alternate board members as automatic replacements for absent board members is vague. Furthermore, the process of delegating votes is not practiced. I propose the following revision to the rules of procedure: Add a line that confirms that alternates automatically receive the vote of an absentee who has not delegate his or her vote in advance. This vote clarifies the rule so that alternate board members can participate in the meetings. There are no procedural changes to the practice of delegating votes. (See current rule and revision below).
    • Current Rule 1. Board members may delegate their vote to another specific board member, or they may delegate their vote to an alternate board member. The most senior ranking alternate board member will take the first delegated vote, and each additional delegated vote will be given to the next in line. No alternate board member can hold more than one delegated vote. All board members who cannot attend should delegate their vote in advance.
    • Revision Proposed: If a board member does not delegate their vote, the most senior ranking alternate board member will take the first undelegated absentee’s vote. Each additional absentee’s undelegated vote will be given to the next in line.

Do we accept the revision of the rules of procedure
If a board member does not delegate their vote, the most senior ranking alternate board member will take the first undelegated absentee’s vote. Each additional absentee’s undelegated vote will be given to the next in line.
15yes.png Yes : Alexander, Keith, Mia,
15no.png No : Florie
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain : Bastian abstains as he indicated that he feels that he is not allowed to vote until now.
Result: Motion is passed. (09:41 UTC)

  • Additional motion

Alexander: There is an issue with members who might not be present at the beginning of the meeting but arrive late or vice versus. We should add a line about such delegation appears on per-voting basis.

Do we accept the revision of the rules of procedure
If a board member is not present at the beginning of the meeting, the chair delegates that vote to an alternate board member. If the board member returns to the meeting, they could reclaim the vote for any further motions but not on votes that had already taken place, hence such delegation appears on a per-voting basis. If a board member is present at the beginning of the meeting but is no longer present when a new motion is presented that they have not indicated a delegated or postal vote, and then that vote is delegated by the chair of the meeting to the next alternate board member present.
15yes.png Yes : Alexander, Keith, Bastian, Mia
15no.png No :
Pictogram voting neutral.svg Abstain :
Result: Motion is passed.

5.2 - Working Groups Update

No updates.

5.3 Economic Update

No updates.


Alexander: We will have another board meeting at the IGF. I can take the responsibility of discussing the IGF and showing what fits into our agenda. People can participate online. So we will or our member parties can bring their pirate agenda to the global audience. I beg everyone to join. I should write a post about this.
The next meeting will probably be during the IGF, which starts on Oct. 7.

5.5 PPI HQ update

6 AOB - Any other business

  • USPP member messaged us that 'I want to gather up all of us that either 1- do dev work or 2-design work. I add a call for a working group. For design work it is usually under SCENE "SCENE (campaigning)

Standing Committee on External Networking Engagement This committee specializes in campaigning, media and public relations and sharing of good practice in this field among our members."

We will call a SCENE meeting with USPP.
  • Should we also have a special social media working group?
Can Pirates on Air comment about social media, since that is also social media?
Sarai wants to give a 20 second introduction about what she is doing in the US. She is a designer and a developer. One of the things that she has done is create a media kit, so everyone has all of the dimensions and best practices for social media as it has transformed in the past years. Lucy is mainly working on a python program that would be a learning language model, such as ChatGPT but to create Pirate articles. This is why we are looking for more people who are designers or developers to do work.
Alexander remembers that in 2011 when Pirate Party of Russia started they had really good media kits. Also he felt that at that moment, Pirates were very active in social media. PPRU used some of the experience from global pirates for their media, but this media has faded. About design and developers, I would like to discuss this with colleagues. We are actually using generative graphics networks for our news streams. We also have a team of developers working on language models. I think Russian Pirate party can participate.
Lucy is that AI to generate articles?
Alexander: we have both kinds. The latest news stream we used content generated by neural networks. We can't say that we have this activityas a sustainable work but we have experimented. We can unite our teams.
Lucy: part of what I am working on scrapes articles from websites and puts them into AI.
Alexander: We should discuss this at the next meeting, perhabs creating anAI working group. This is really cool.

PPRU already made statement on usage of personal data for generated voices or images.

  • Announcement, recognition of a great article that Bailey and Miles (PPAU) interviewed for.

  • Next Meeting: October 11th at 21:00 UTC
  • Meeting Closed: 10:07 UTC