From PPI
Jump to: navigation, search
--- 11.10.2023 09:00 UTC ---
Audio recording: PiratesOnAir Streaming

Record of the meeting


1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Gregory, Mike, Keith, Mauricio, Alex, Bailey, Maycow
excused: Julian,
Bailey will be delayed. Bailey arrived.
Maycow arrived.

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members: Mia
participating: Mia, Bastian (semi-present),
excused: Bastian (on the road)
participating: FreePalestine, PiratesOnAir, V USPP, ThomasG, Numero6


Meeting opened at 21:06 UTC by Gregory
Meeting chaired by Gregory
Secretary for this meeting is all
Quorum established with 5 (updated to 6 with Bailey at 9:11 UTC and 7 with Matcow at 9:15 UTC) out of 9 board members and 1 alternate member present.
Streaming started: started
Recording started: 21:07 UTC
Postal votes: none
Notes on meeting process:


Do we approve the minutes?
Yes : Keith, Alexander, Mia
No :
Abstain : Gregory, Mike, Mauricio
Result: minutes are approved.


4.1 - Short reports of the board members 1)


  • Florie Marie:
not present
  • Gregory Engels:
I had spent a lot of time traveling. I went to a communications camp and met with many activists there. I also went to burning man. I was deep in the election campaign for the regional election in my region. We didn't win any seats but that was expected. It was a busy summer for me. Now I am done with that and have much more time for PPI. I look forward to seeing you guys much more. I am looking to set up a replacement for the International Pirate Summer camp which we did not do for the past couple years. I had a conversation with a Pirate in Tunisia, and we are working on it but it is too early for details.
  • Bailey Lamon:
report delayed till showing up. Nothing to report. I do want to say that I also will be around more, and I want to participate more and apologize for being away a lot and not being helpful lately. I brought up the idea last time I attended to have a meeting to discuss fundraising and financial things that we didn't do before. I think it would be really good to get things together and work out a plan. I want to hear the different ideas that people have about improving PPI's finances. I don't have any updates today.
  • Michal Gill:
Nothing to report; zero time to give to the PPI lately; also apologise for missing the last few meetings.
  • Keith L. Goldstein:
I'm at the IGF with Alex. I wrote a few blogs and updated our website. I am planning another few blogs about the IGF and some specific topics here. I debate whether I should add a blog about Israel. I have been communicating more with Pirates on Discord. I sent a more formal update on the GA and updated our Discourse.
  • Alexander Isavnin:
At IGF at Tokyo, photos are in Wire. Trying to get contact with remaining Japanese pirates
  • Julian Häffner:
not present
  • Mauricio Vargas:
Nothing to report. Locally, we are working to reorient the work of the Pirate Party of Chile. We lost a lot of pirates in the past month or year. We are working to enforce or empower to get a new line of work. We are really closer to working inside of the movement here. I will ask if you have some philosophers in your parties, or maybe something about Pirate philosophy, more than the wheel, more than the codex.. maybe in a few days if someone can contact us with some Pirate philosophers or something. We want a specific thinking of pirates. We have a lot of text and guides, but the last people who entered did not understand from my point of view. We have a lot of disorder. We are trying to focus again on the principles of the pirate party. We can talk with some philosophers about pirate principles and values, and how they engage when discussing the end of capitalism. What happened with the common rule in digital economy, things like that. Maybe swarm theory. Please contact Mauricio.
Annotation from the chat: Sarai "Sopphey {V}ance" Oviedo, USPP - Sarai "Sopphey {V}ance" Oviedo, USPP says:I'll connect you with AUS PP who is doing Swarmcare Swarm theory
  • Maycow Toledo:
I cannot talk on mic for now, but would like to invite everyone of you to celebrate the Aaron Swartz Day on November 11th week's (copied from the chat)


  • Adam Wolf:
not present
  • Sebastian Krone:
I have been monitoring the PPI tec, as I do every day, even on vacation.
All patches are up-to-date. All systems are running smoothly.
I have asked several times to see the contract for data processing by a processor (Art. 28.3 GDPR) regarding our discourse hosted by Stefan Thöni that we use. When will this happen?
I ask the board, when we will have board elections, the office terms ends in January according to Art. XII.2 of our Statutes.
Note from Keith: I have taken note of your concern and added it as a motion below for us to discuss.
  • Mia Utz:
Have been at the Dutch pirates summer camp, The week before I was at a German pirate Summer Camp, it was interesting as well.
  • Raman Ojha:
not present
  • Carlos Polo:
not present

5.1 - Proposals

  • GA Elections
Proceed with the elections but ensure that the term would start on Jan. 8th

We have held elections at the winter GA since 2017 when we changed to the rotating system. We have elections for half the board one year and half the board, the next year. We had elections for vice chairperson and 3 board members at the winter GA 2 years ago on Jan. 8, 2022. I believe we should elect the board members at this GA, but they will not officially be seated as board members until the next board meeting on Jan. 8, 2024. Otherwise board members might have to serve for 3 years or we would have to call a special GA one month later, or have GAs that are progressively a few days or weeks later. Usually the election takes place before the end of the term, and then you have an inauguration ceremony soon after to officially change the guard. The alternate positions are also for 2 years, but we changed the rule to make unlimited alternates possible who replace board members based on seniority and voting order.

Keep the elections at the December 2023 GA but announce that the terms will officially begin on Jan. 8, 2024 and will be for the years 2024 and 2025.
Yes : Alexander, Mike, Keith, Mauricio, Bailey,
No :
Abstain : Mia, Gregory, Maycow (in the chat)
Result: motion has passed, the members have to be informed with the invitation about possible procuderes about the elections, including the days of when it might get into effect

Gregory:: Provided an update on the election dates, indicating that we had a few inconsistencies in our prior election dates. Also, there is nothing in our statutes that we cannot have the elections slightly before the end of the term.
Thomas:: This would be the first time ever that such a situation occurred in the PPI. Currently we are dealing with statute issues about when terms begin and end. I don't think the board can decide on this. I believe this is an issue that goes with the board ending. The first is to change the agenda for the GA or to postpone the GA until January for a few days later from when the term ends. This should be up to the GA only.
Gregory:: The GA is the ultimate instance to decide on the Agenda, we can only do recommendation here. If the election is not stated in the posted agenda, I see a problem with this as well. The alternative would be to delay the stated agenda.
Mike:: Please don't delay the GA because of this. I think we can have a decision at the GA about when the term actually starts.
Alex:: We missed summer GA, but need to have amother one kind of no later than...
Gregory:: We did have a summer GA, but we missed quorum, so it was not able to make any decisions.
Bailey:: I can see it going either way. I don't see a huge problem delaying it to January. I think we can also go ahead with it in December and we can let the GA decide about when the terms usually begin. In December we are going to be getting into winter holidays. I don't see a problem with when the terms would begin anyway. I'm leaning to having the GA in December and explaining the situation. If anyone has any problems they can tell us. I don't see a problem if we have the elections a little early and the GA decides.
Keith:: I will add a note about this on Discourse and in an email for the members, so they know about this issue.

5.2 - Working Groups Update

  • SCENE meeting
Keith:: We said at the last meeting that we would have one.
V:: I said that I would help with the meeting, and I would love to help with that. I will have a date set in the next 2 weeks.

'Do you wanna build a Pirate Party' to the tune of "do you wanna build a snowman" Hit me up on Discord. Use the name Sofi?

5.3 Economic Update

Bailey:: I saw your email Gregory. Those statements need to get up on the wiki. I will need some help with that.
Gregory: we have CHF 3,143.61 in our account and 20.15 EUR as of today. Kraken (crypto account): 678.95 US-$ Paypal: around 900 CHF


  • IGF - two people are attending.
Alex:: There are a lot of user data protection, a lot of AI (Artificial Intelligence) talks, they want to regulate it. It is a lot of fun. There is a manga association, who are trying to chase users and fight piracy. There was a session with artists, a photo which was sent to the board chat. We need to follow Japanese institutions. There was not a lot of copyright activities. We tried to follow. We have a lot of interesting conference in our pirate capacity.

5.5 PPI HQ update

currently no update

6 AOB - Any other business

  • Meeting Times
Florie indicated that last time we messed up on the meeting hour and date which should be at 9 am and 9 pm UTC rotating. We messed up at the end of the prior meeting when setting the hour. We also discussed at the last meeting about the dates being the 3rd Wednesday or every 4 weeks.

decision was: Future meetings on every third Wednesday, starting at 21:00 UTC, and we will rotate between 05:00 UTC and 21:00 UTC.

  • USPP comment

I was having a hard time finding bylaws in regards to election stuff -

Gregory:: its in the wiki: and

Message #🤝general

  • Next Meeting: Nov. 15th (3rd Wednessday of a Month) at 05:00 UTC
  • Meeting Closed: Oct. 11, 22:02 UTC