- Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING
Record of the meeting
1 - ATTENDEES
1.1 - Members of the PPI board
- participating: Bailey, Cal, Keith, Linda, Gregory, Cedric (on the pad only)
- excused:Dan, THomas
- We have quorum.
1.2 - Others
- Alternate Board Members
- participating: Bastian
- excused:svein, Carlos
- participating: Olivia, Pirates on Air, Vojtech, Mirk, MacBurns
- participating: Olivia, Pirates on Air, Vojtech, Mirk, MacBurns
2 - PROCEEDINGS
- Meeting opened at 19:05 CEST by Bailey
- Meeting chaired by Bailey
- Secretary for this meeting is Everyone
- Quorum established with 6 out of 9 board members present and 1 alternate.
- Streaming started: started https://piratesonair.net/live-stream/
- Recording started:
- Postal votes:
- Notes on meeting process
3 - APPROVAL ON THE MINUTES
|* Minutes of the last meeting: https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Minutes_2020_04_19|
|Yes : Linda,Bailey, Keith, Gregory|
|Abstain : Cal|
- note that the date is wrong on the url
- We have skipped recently approval of the agenda. Perhaps we will just make an oral announcement here if anyone has remarks or objections to the agenda.
4 - REPORTS
4.1 - Short report of the board members 1)
- In order to make sure that we mix things up a bit, I mixed up the order again. We can keep mixing it, unless anyone has any objections.
- Cal:nothing to report
- Gregory: Updated Discord and many other things. Our Session proposal for IGF2020 is published https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2020-ws-352-digital-human-rights-digital-integrity-of-the-human-person as well as our booth request https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2020-village-booth-37-pirate-parties-international
- Linda: participated in Pirate beer, submitted needs assessment for final input from this board, with intention to have it be sent out tomorrow, with a deadline 2 days before the GA. That was I will have time to compile a summary to present at the GA. Wrote suggested topic for ecosoc submission.
- Keith: Worked on the Global Leadership statement, which we need to talk about later. It is due in 2 days. Discussed with people about motions for the GA on Discourse. Hung out at home a lot.
- Svein: Joined in late.
- I took care of the PPI technique like I do every day.
- Our Nextcloud is working fine. I uploaded a lot of recorded PPI meetings (about 110).
- Yesterday we had some trouble with login of PPI Website. It was fixed very quick.
- Participate in Pirate beer
5.1 - Proposals
- Issue: Sign up for delegates
- Submitted by: Keith
- Justification: Vojtech writes on Discourse: How can I get new members (delegates) to my group? This is a separate technical issue, but it is also apparent that we are not well organized with delegate registration.
- Motion: Create an email, social media, and perhaps form and spreadsheet for further outreach to countries to sign people up, or we will not make quorum.
- Written authorization is needed, unless they are the official international coordinator. We don't usually push hard for the physical letter, but maybe we should push people to gain recognition of their being a delegate. Doing the authorization on the spot is so much of a fuss. It is a good idea for people to register in advance, and we do need confirmation from the member that they are the official people representing us.
- How do we feel about dividing up the countries to a few each, so we can contact each of them.
- Keith has the most updated list of official country contacts, and he will share them with each of you so you can contact the country representatives.
- Question about Dan, and his accounting of membership payments. There has not been any discussion from him for a while. Is there any update from him, and do we know anything. We will bring this up again during finances.
- Issue: Attending Discourse and other GA prep
- Submitted by: Keith
- Justification: GA is in about 2 weeks
- Motion: We should perhaps divide tasks among ourselves, and we could use a rubric similar to the ones we used in the past. Have we decided against Zoom due to objections?
- We all have a responsibility to monitor Discourse. I encourage everyone to go in there and register and participate in the discussions. Board reports are also something that we need to work on. Bailey will get us started, and we will all work on it together. She will send us a pad.
- Address to the GA Discourse: http://ga.pp-international.net/
- Pirate Party of Catalonia lodged a formal complaint that they don't like us using Zoom for the GA, owing to privacy and other issues.
- Linda comments that in the past meeting we decided that we would welcome an open source alternative if one was available, but we have not found one and the situation remains the same as last meeting.
- Gregory comments that there was valid criticism, which has been addressed. However, he does want those who have voiced concerns to be in a conversation with us to talk about the concerns in detail. The alternative of everyone to use Jitsi with everyone turning off their video. We could use Mumble or Discord instead. I invite people into an open dialogue.
- Macburns comments that we could use Mumble for audio and Zoom for video.
- Issue: GA Agenda
- Submitted by Vojtěch Pikal
- Justification: GA is in about 2 weeks, Agenda was promised to be send out
- Motion: Approve and send out preliminary agenda;
Proposal: The following is the first draft proposed, but we should fine tune it. 10:00 Registration 11:00 Official Start of the GA, Opening Statements 11:30 Board Report 12:00 Treasurer Report 12:15 Lay Auditor Report 12:30 CoA Report 12:30 New Member Applications 13-13:30 Lunch 13:30-14:00 New Board Replacements (1 replacement board member?) 14:00 Motions, Statute Amendments 15:00 Break 15:30 Motions, Other Motions, Ongoing Debates and Voting 17:00 Closing Statements
:We are going to improve it over the next few days and see when it is ready to be sent out.
- We need to add some agenda items.
- Suggestion that we meet on the 27th before the GA.
- Issue: Needs Assessment Survey
- Submitted by Bailey
- Justification: Linda, Roland (PPAT) and others have been working on a Needs Assessment survey to send out to members. I have made a few small edits and this draft can be found here: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/Needs_Assessment. If everyone approves, we should start sending it out as well as make people aware of it at the GA. Personally I would like this to go on our website permanently so that members can always have an easy way to send us feedback (not that they can't do that anyway, but I feel this survey is really great because it keeps things a little more focused)
- Motion: Do we approve of the Needs Assessment Survey being shared with members and posted on our website?
- Discussion that we should not have a deadline. However, those who want their opinions shared before the GA, then they should fill it out before the GA. We can though keep the survey open. Linda spent a long time drafting it.
- Gregory would like the UN questions to be added to the questionnaire.
- Keith had the same comment and thus added Question 5. in my edit: Are you interested in participating in UN ECOSOC events, or are there any specific issues that you would like PPI to promote on your behalf at the UN?
- Please feel free to revise further. Gregory is sending his comments as well.
- Do we want to vote on it? We decided that we don't need to vote on it. We can follow up on it, or make revisions later. The point now is to get people to start talking to us and then we can keep asking questions. In about 6 months we can put up another revision.
5.2 - Working Groups Update
- No updates for today.
5.3 Economic Update
- Membership fees, call to members prior to GA?
- Bailey does not think we should ask for membership fees until after the GA, and that we should discuss membership fees with the GA so they understand everything that we are doing and what the situation is. We do have access to our account, but there have been complications getting everyone signed up. At the moment Pat is our conduit to the account. Dan being in Brazil is going through a crazy period, and sometimes he lacks internet and his connection to us is unstable sometimes.
- Bastian states that there have been no updates to our Wiki. and it is a bit concerning. Perhaps we could organize for our cashiers to update the content. It is very important that we update our Wiki with the content of our finances.
- Global Leadership Submission,
- UNOG Global Leadership E-Conference
- Present a paper or video at the conference
- Conduct a panel on solutions to a critical issue
- Organize one or more sessions
- Register to attend the conference
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS: MAY 15, 2020
- We have 2 days to finish our proposal. We wrote some ideas but it needs more work: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/global-leadership-unog-involvement-xvuo03z
- Can someone help spearhead this effort?
- Our Session proposal for IGF2020 is published https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2020-ws-352-digital-human-rights-digital-integrity-of-the-human-person as well as our booth request https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2020-village-booth-37-pirate-parties-international
- We should make a blog about this on our website. Maybe we should wait.
- Our proposal was published, but it has not yet been accepted. It is quite safe we think that we will get the booth, but we probably only have about a 25% chance of getting a session, and they may ask us to merge with another proposal.
- We also had an alternative proposal that was not published, a parliamentarian track, which could be a day before the conference. We are not sure why it was not published. Gregory will follow up.
- The event is happening in the end of November in Poland.
6 AOB - Any other business
- PPI PPEU Joint board meeting
- Meeting will be the 17th of May 20:00 CEST/DST on Jitsi. We should get an invitation soon from PPEU, which we will rebroadcast.
- This may be a first such meeting.
- Question of whether this is open to the public, and we assume that it will be. We don't yet know the agenda, so we also don't know what will be involved. However, we doubt this will be a secret meeting whatsoever.
- Redmine Updating Decisions and Tasks
- Motion: Would we like to schedule this Redmine group now or after the GA? Is Boris Sobieski still available? Maybe we can discuss this after the GA, because we have a lot of stuff going on.
- We will bring this back after the GA
- Use of Discord for board meetings.
- Bastian comments that he does not approve of Discord. We should turn to another system in the future.
- Next Meeting: 24.05.2020, 19:00 CEST/DST (17:00 UTC)
- Meeting Closed: 20:33 CEST/DST (18:33 UTC)